Re: 12 volt power supply

  • Gregg Carlson
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2000
      Here is one DC-DC power supply:

      http://www.winsystems.com/products/pc104/pdc_dc.htm

      I have also seen other; thought one was "kaypro" (?), but I don't see
      it on their site now. Point is, tney are around.

      Of course, you should check efficiencies [12VDC->converter type
      supply->motherboard] vs. [12VDC->inverter->115 VAC input standard
      power supply->motherboard]. Multiply efficiencies for total.

      Gregg Carlson

      --- In bolger@egroups.com, fung42@h... wrote:
      > greetings from south america,
      > I wonder if anyone has information on 12volt power supplies for
      > pentium computers, suitable for marine use..
      > Regards.
    • Jim Goeckermann
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2000
        I am sending this from a "12 volt power supply" - that is a battery bank
        that runs an inverter. In this case, the inverter is a large trace that
        makes a square wave. It works fine, and in fact powers our whole household
        including a computer based business that my wife runs. However, since your
        pc only needs 100 to 150 watts, a smaller inverter that makes a "sine wave"
        would be best. They are not too expensive. If your computer is a smaller
        laptop, one of the little convenience plug in inverters would work. i have
        one that I might be willing to ship you to try. Calling a local vendor tho
        sells photovoltaic pannels will get you going, but gather some prices as
        they vary greatly.
        Jim

        fung42@... wrote:

        > greetings from south america,
        > I wonder if anyone has information on 12volt power supplies for
        > pentium computers, suitable for marine use..
        > Regards.

        > - no flogging dead horses
        > - stay on topic and punctuate
      • Mana Cruising Club
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2000
          Greetings from New Zealand... I use an inverter without problems.

          Jeremy
          Fu-T'ien, Mana, NZ
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2000
            Thanks very much to all members who answered my question. Think that
            I have enough information to make a decision.
            Regards
          • GHC
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2000
              Here is another 12 VDC input internal power supply for a PC, very nice:

              http://www.keypower.com/DC_power/DX-200Q.htm ~$125

              Efficiency is rated at 70%, so if your PC wants 100 (of the supply's 200)
              watts, for example, the power supply needs 12 amps, with 3.5 amps wasted
              (heat).

              Keypower also lists a conventional AC->DC PC supply at 70%, so assume it
              will also waste a similar number of battery amps. Good inverters list
              efficiencies from 75% (Trace) to 97% (Invertrix, I don't believe it), and
              cheapo inverters, I think, appear to be 50-60%. I know a little 100 watt
              cheapie I had would keep your coffee warm. Anyway, I would think an
              inverter setup would double your loss.

              Of course, the best plan is laptop, which probably runs on 50 watts anyway.
              The last two I have had, however, conveniently run on 16 and 19 VDC, so
              you are still stuck with an inverter.

              Gregg Carlson