Re: [bolger] 12 volt power supply

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2000
      Figure out the total peak power consumption your computer and peripherals
      will use and double it. Now get a cheap (probably under $100) inverter that
      will deliver that amount of power. Hook everything up and go.

      Chuck

      > greetings from south america,
      > I wonder if anyone has information on 12volt power supplies for
      > pentium computers, suitable for marine use..
      > Regards.

    • Gregg Carlson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2000
        Here is one DC-DC power supply:

        http://www.winsystems.com/products/pc104/pdc_dc.htm

        I have also seen other; thought one was "kaypro" (?), but I don't see
        it on their site now. Point is, tney are around.

        Of course, you should check efficiencies [12VDC->converter type
        supply->motherboard] vs. [12VDC->inverter->115 VAC input standard
        power supply->motherboard]. Multiply efficiencies for total.

        Gregg Carlson

        --- In bolger@egroups.com, fung42@h... wrote:
        > greetings from south america,
        > I wonder if anyone has information on 12volt power supplies for
        > pentium computers, suitable for marine use..
        > Regards.
      • Jim Goeckermann
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2000
          I am sending this from a "12 volt power supply" - that is a battery bank
          that runs an inverter. In this case, the inverter is a large trace that
          makes a square wave. It works fine, and in fact powers our whole household
          including a computer based business that my wife runs. However, since your
          pc only needs 100 to 150 watts, a smaller inverter that makes a "sine wave"
          would be best. They are not too expensive. If your computer is a smaller
          laptop, one of the little convenience plug in inverters would work. i have
          one that I might be willing to ship you to try. Calling a local vendor tho
          sells photovoltaic pannels will get you going, but gather some prices as
          they vary greatly.
          Jim

          fung42@... wrote:

          > greetings from south america,
          > I wonder if anyone has information on 12volt power supplies for
          > pentium computers, suitable for marine use..
          > Regards.

          > - no flogging dead horses
          > - stay on topic and punctuate
        • Mana Cruising Club
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2000
            Greetings from New Zealand... I use an inverter without problems.

            Jeremy
            Fu-T'ien, Mana, NZ
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2000
              Thanks very much to all members who answered my question. Think that
              I have enough information to make a decision.
              Regards
            • GHC
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2000
                Here is another 12 VDC input internal power supply for a PC, very nice:

                http://www.keypower.com/DC_power/DX-200Q.htm ~$125

                Efficiency is rated at 70%, so if your PC wants 100 (of the supply's 200)
                watts, for example, the power supply needs 12 amps, with 3.5 amps wasted
                (heat).

                Keypower also lists a conventional AC->DC PC supply at 70%, so assume it
                will also waste a similar number of battery amps. Good inverters list
                efficiencies from 75% (Trace) to 97% (Invertrix, I don't believe it), and
                cheapo inverters, I think, appear to be 50-60%. I know a little 100 watt
                cheapie I had would keep your coffee warm. Anyway, I would think an
                inverter setup would double your loss.

                Of course, the best plan is laptop, which probably runs on 50 watts anyway.
                The last two I have had, however, conveniently run on 16 and 19 VDC, so
                you are still stuck with an inverter.

                Gregg Carlson