12 volt power supply

  • fung42@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2000
      greetings from south america,
      I wonder if anyone has information on 12volt power supplies for
      pentium computers, suitable for marine use..
      Regards.
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2000
        Figure out the total peak power consumption your computer and peripherals
        will use and double it. Now get a cheap (probably under $100) inverter that
        will deliver that amount of power. Hook everything up and go.

        Chuck

        > greetings from south america,
        > I wonder if anyone has information on 12volt power supplies for
        > pentium computers, suitable for marine use..
        > Regards.

      • Gregg Carlson
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2000
          Here is one DC-DC power supply:

          http://www.winsystems.com/products/pc104/pdc_dc.htm

          I have also seen other; thought one was "kaypro" (?), but I don't see
          it on their site now. Point is, tney are around.

          Of course, you should check efficiencies [12VDC->converter type
          supply->motherboard] vs. [12VDC->inverter->115 VAC input standard
          power supply->motherboard]. Multiply efficiencies for total.

          Gregg Carlson

          --- In bolger@egroups.com, fung42@h... wrote:
          > greetings from south america,
          > I wonder if anyone has information on 12volt power supplies for
          > pentium computers, suitable for marine use..
          > Regards.
        • Jim Goeckermann
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2000
            I am sending this from a "12 volt power supply" - that is a battery bank
            that runs an inverter. In this case, the inverter is a large trace that
            makes a square wave. It works fine, and in fact powers our whole household
            including a computer based business that my wife runs. However, since your
            pc only needs 100 to 150 watts, a smaller inverter that makes a "sine wave"
            would be best. They are not too expensive. If your computer is a smaller
            laptop, one of the little convenience plug in inverters would work. i have
            one that I might be willing to ship you to try. Calling a local vendor tho
            sells photovoltaic pannels will get you going, but gather some prices as
            they vary greatly.
            Jim

            fung42@... wrote:

            > greetings from south america,
            > I wonder if anyone has information on 12volt power supplies for
            > pentium computers, suitable for marine use..
            > Regards.

            > - no flogging dead horses
            > - stay on topic and punctuate
          • Mana Cruising Club
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2000
              Greetings from New Zealand... I use an inverter without problems.

              Jeremy
              Fu-T'ien, Mana, NZ
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2000
                Thanks very much to all members who answered my question. Think that
                I have enough information to make a decision.
                Regards
              • GHC
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2000
                  Here is another 12 VDC input internal power supply for a PC, very nice:

                  http://www.keypower.com/DC_power/DX-200Q.htm ~$125

                  Efficiency is rated at 70%, so if your PC wants 100 (of the supply's 200)
                  watts, for example, the power supply needs 12 amps, with 3.5 amps wasted
                  (heat).

                  Keypower also lists a conventional AC->DC PC supply at 70%, so assume it
                  will also waste a similar number of battery amps. Good inverters list
                  efficiencies from 75% (Trace) to 97% (Invertrix, I don't believe it), and
                  cheapo inverters, I think, appear to be 50-60%. I know a little 100 watt
                  cheapie I had would keep your coffee warm. Anyway, I would think an
                  inverter setup would double your loss.

                  Of course, the best plan is laptop, which probably runs on 50 watts anyway.
                  The last two I have had, however, conveniently run on 16 and 19 VDC, so
                  you are still stuck with an inverter.

                  Gregg Carlson