micro outboard

  • col_mooney@globalfreeway.com.au
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2000
      This question has probably been asked before, but is a short shaft
      outboard long enough for micro?

      Regards,

      Col
    • don
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2000
        To me short shaft outboards are not much good for anything except small
        fishing boats. Sailboats need long shaft outboards.
        > This question has probably been asked before, but is a short shaft
        > outboard long enough for micro?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Col

        > - no flogging dead horses
        > - stay on topic and punctuate

      • peter lenihan
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2000
          Hello Col,
          Based on my seven seasons of happiness with my MICRO out on the
          St.Lawrence River(read,always dealing with a current),I can say that
          my Mercury 5hp short shaft has always done the trick......handsomely!
          Sincerely,
          Peter Lenihan,feeling the chill as the thermometer plummets bellow
          -10
          degrees Celsius here on the banks of the St.Lawrence........

          --- In bolger@egroups.com, col_mooney@g... wrote:

          > This question has probably been asked before, but is a short shaft
          > outboard long enough for micro?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Col
        • David Jost
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2000
            Col,

            I guess the answer depends on where you are planning to sail.
            Lakes, and small bays should be ok for the short shaft motor, but I
            think if you are going out on larger bodies of water you will be
            happier with the 20" shaft, as you will guarantee that the prop will
            bite solid water 95% of the time.
            One advantage that you get with Micro is that the motor is in
            the middle of the transom making it equally effective on either tack
            as you transition from sail to motor and back again.
            I just read that OMC (Johnson and Evinrude) have just released a
            3.5 hp motor with a Forward, Neutral, and Reverse. It weighs 30 lbs.
            and is about $800 US. Sounds like a great Micro motor to me!

            David Jost
            Not quite as cold as Montreal, but the water in the ponds is
            solid today. Boston

            > This question has probably been asked before, but is a short shaft
            > outboard long enough for micro?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Col
          • David Jost
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2000
              Col,
              At the risk of beating a dead horse, I will share some info that
              I discovered today.
              I was building the motor board for the transom of my Micro today
              and had the plans right in front of me. The motor that is pictured is
              a short shaft motor. It is 15" from the base of the motor head to the
              top of the lower unit (usually the top fin). I then went to the shed
              and measured what I know is a long shaft motor which is exactly 20"
              from the base of the motor head to the top of the lower unit (not the
              prop)to affirm my findings.
              As pictured, the short shaft motor will put the prop in the
              water right in the middle of the rudder and 9" below the water line.
              If you had a long shaft motor this would then become 14" below the
              waterline and possibly beneath the rudder. If this were the case,
              you would need to be careful running in shoal water that you don't
              bend a prop. With the short shaft motor, the keel would scrape
              first.

              Happy Sailing / Motoring
              David Jost "Boston"

              > This question has probably been asked before, but is a short shaft
              > outboard long enough for micro?
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Col
            • Chuck Leinweber
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2000
                > I was building the motor board for the transom of my Micro today
                > and had the plans right in front of me. The motor that is pictured is
                > a short shaft motor. It is 15" from the base of the motor head to the
                > top of the lower unit (usually the top fin). I then went to the shed
                > and measured what I know is a long shaft motor which is exactly 20"
                > from the base of the motor head to the top of the lower unit (not the
                > prop)to affirm my findings.
                <snip>
                > Happy Sailing / Motoring
                > David Jost "Boston"

                As we all know, the reason for having a long shaft motor is so that in heavy
                swells, the head will not drown in the crests, and the prop will not grab
                air in the troughs. My question is this: Do you mount the long shaft motor
                at the standard depth (keeping the head high above the water) or, on a
                sixteen inch transom (so that the prop is very deep). An argument could be
                made that it would be best to split the difference, although I have never
                heard that point of view expressed.

                Chuck
              • Don and Dianne
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2000
                  Chuck,

                  I think the real rationale for the long shaft is raise the freeboard of the
                  transom and avoid being "pooped" or taking on a lot of water in reverse. In
                  a displacement boat, the deep immersion wouldn't make much difference, but
                  in a planing boat it would be a tremendous increase in drag and frontal area
                  at speed.

                  Don Hodges

                  > > I was building the motor board for the transom of my Micro today
                  > > and had the plans right in front of me. The motor that is pictured is
                  > > a short shaft motor. It is 15" from the base of the motor head to the
                  > > top of the lower unit (usually the top fin). I then went to the shed
                  > > and measured what I know is a long shaft motor which is exactly 20"
                  > > from the base of the motor head to the top of the lower unit (not the
                  > > prop)to affirm my findings.
                  > <snip>
                  > > Happy Sailing / Motoring
                  > > David Jost "Boston"
                  >
                  > As we all know, the reason for having a long shaft motor is so that in
                  heavy
                  > swells, the head will not drown in the crests, and the prop will not grab
                  > air in the troughs. My question is this: Do you mount the long shaft
                  motor
                  > at the standard depth (keeping the head high above the water) or, on a
                  > sixteen inch transom (so that the prop is very deep). An argument could
                  be
                  > made that it would be best to split the difference, although I have never
                  > heard that point of view expressed.
                  >
                  > Chuck

                  > - no flogging dead horses
                  > - stay on topic and punctuate

                • Langmuir
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
                    A short shaft 7 1/2 horse Honda was ideal for my Long Micro Thylacine until
                    it got stolen. The stern wave on Micro/Long Micros comes right up to the
                    transom bottom and ensures that the prop is well immersed.
                    Regards, Gavin Langmuir.