Re: Winter Sailing Dinghy

  • Matthew, Agnès & Fletcher Peillet-Long
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
      If you haven't already, take a look at Jim Michalak's site archives
      for some neat examples of smaller Birdwatcher-type boats (such as IMB
      and Scram Pram) that might serve as good models.

      http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak

      Good luck,

      Matthew Long

      --- In bolger@egroups.com, pongo19050@y... wrote:
      > In "103 Sailing Rigs" Mr. Bolger had a cartoon of a keeled sailing
      > dinghy rigged as a cat yawl with a sprit boom main and a sprit
      > standing lug mizzen (Rig 48). The dinghy drawn by Mr. Bolger has a
      > tranparent canopy with a slot top running the entire length of the
      > cockpit. In a capsize, Mr. Bolger writes, the boat would not ship
      > water even in a beam-ends knockdown. Does anyone know if this
      design
      > went beyond the cartoon stage?
      >
      > I have recently completed the hull (and spars) of Bolger's Oldshoe
      > design. This is a 12' keeled sailing dinhy. I do not think that I
      > can wait for Spring to sail here in the rapidly cooling Delaware
      > Bay. I was thinking of building a birdwatcher-type canopy and
      > launching next month. Over the years I have scrounged a bunch of
      > plexiglass (which has somehow survived several of the spouse's
      Spring

    • jboatguy@cs.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2000
        I’d hesitate to make permanent changes to a Bolger, esp since
        by the
        time you work out all the kinks, spring will be just around the
        corner anyway. I have a Cartopper, and regularly sail in winter here
        in the SF area of CA. Admittedly we don’t have the winter you
        do in
        DE, by any means. But, Plexiglas isn’t going to keep you a
        whole lot
        warmer except from wind chill.

        What Plexiglas might do is keep you drier, but that could be dealt
        with by the simple expedient of picking your weather. Don’t
        go out if spray is going to come over the bow. And my impression of
        Oldshoe is that spray rarely comes over the bow. My Cartopper is
        remarkably dry, and it's not nearly the sea boat Oldshoe is.

        My suggestion? Bundle up. You’re going to have to anyway!
        Wear something waterproof on top. And have fun!

        Personally I love winter sailing (with long johns and thick socks!).
        I once had it start to snow (a rarity in these parts) while I was
        exploring a narrow, silent slough nearby in the Delta. It was too
        lovely for words.

        Good Sailing... John
      • pongo19050@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
          --- In bolger@egroups.com, jboatguy@c... wrote:
          . . .

          > My suggestion? Bundle up. You’re going to have to anyway!
          > Wear something waterproof on top. And have fun!

          We have had a cold Fall here and just bundling up won't do it. I have
          been out in my sailing canoe the last two weekends and have had to
          deal with a thin skin of ice until I reached more brackish water.
          Yesterday my sheet froze in the clamcleat (I know - another reason
          not to cleat the sheet). I've been wearing my full farmer john
          wetsut. At least it makes for a dry canoe as what water comes over
          the gunnels freezes in the bottom.

          I do have fun doing my impersonation of an icebreaker.

          Regards

          Andy Farquhar