Winter Sailing Dinghy

  • pongo19050@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2000
      In "103 Sailing Rigs" Mr. Bolger had a cartoon of a keeled sailing
      dinghy rigged as a cat yawl with a sprit boom main and a sprit
      standing lug mizzen (Rig 48). The dinghy drawn by Mr. Bolger has a
      tranparent canopy with a slot top running the entire length of the
      cockpit. In a capsize, Mr. Bolger writes, the boat would not ship
      water even in a beam-ends knockdown. Does anyone know if this design
      went beyond the cartoon stage?

      I have recently completed the hull (and spars) of Bolger's Oldshoe
      design. This is a 12' keeled sailing dinhy. I do not think that I
      can wait for Spring to sail here in the rapidly cooling Delaware
      Bay. I was thinking of building a birdwatcher-type canopy and
      launching next month. Over the years I have scrounged a bunch of
      plexiglass (which has somehow survived several of the spouse's Spring
      cleanings).

      I know that I shouldn't mess too much with the design, but I think
      that I can build the canopy light enough so that the boat will not be
      overbalanced. I erred on the side of caution with the lead keel and
      put in 225 lbs. instead of the 200 lbs. as designed. Also, the live,
      movable ballast has increased in mass considerably since
      Thanksgiving. I figure the small cuddy that I already have on the
      boat weighs less than the designed storage compartment and extended
      seats that it replaced.

      My question is one of feasability and then scantlings. Should I try
      this or banish it to the winter dreams round file? How exactly is a
      birdwatcher-type canopy made? It looks like ply panels surround the
      plexiglass. Should I frame the panels in the same way I did the
      bulkheads?

      Some pics of the boat, "Greenhead" are posted in the files section of
      the Oldshoe E-group.

      Regards

      Andy Farquhar
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2000
        Andy,

        I like this "plexiglass" winter top thing. Have you considered faxing
        Bolger about his thoughts on it?

        Rick

        Phil Bolger & Friends
        fax (978) 282-1349
      • Matthew, Agnès & Fletcher Peillet-Long
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
          If you haven't already, take a look at Jim Michalak's site archives
          for some neat examples of smaller Birdwatcher-type boats (such as IMB
          and Scram Pram) that might serve as good models.

          http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak

          Good luck,

          Matthew Long

        • jboatguy@cs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2000
            I’d hesitate to make permanent changes to a Bolger, esp since
            by the
            time you work out all the kinks, spring will be just around the
            corner anyway. I have a Cartopper, and regularly sail in winter here
            in the SF area of CA. Admittedly we don’t have the winter you
            do in
            DE, by any means. But, Plexiglas isn’t going to keep you a
            whole lot
            warmer except from wind chill.

            What Plexiglas might do is keep you drier, but that could be dealt
            with by the simple expedient of picking your weather. Don’t
            go out if spray is going to come over the bow. And my impression of
            Oldshoe is that spray rarely comes over the bow. My Cartopper is
            remarkably dry, and it's not nearly the sea boat Oldshoe is.

            My suggestion? Bundle up. You’re going to have to anyway!
            Wear something waterproof on top. And have fun!

            Personally I love winter sailing (with long johns and thick socks!).
            I once had it start to snow (a rarity in these parts) while I was
            exploring a narrow, silent slough nearby in the Delta. It was too
            lovely for words.

            Good Sailing... John
          • pongo19050@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
              --- In bolger@egroups.com, jboatguy@c... wrote:
              . . .

              > My suggestion? Bundle up. You’re going to have to anyway!
              > Wear something waterproof on top. And have fun!

              We have had a cold Fall here and just bundling up won't do it. I have
              been out in my sailing canoe the last two weekends and have had to
              deal with a thin skin of ice until I reached more brackish water.
              Yesterday my sheet froze in the clamcleat (I know - another reason
              not to cleat the sheet). I've been wearing my full farmer john
              wetsut. At least it makes for a dry canoe as what water comes over
              the gunnels freezes in the bottom.

              I do have fun doing my impersonation of an icebreaker.

              Regards

              Andy Farquhar