Dolphins

  • Bruce
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2000
      Does anybody know where I can get drafting dolphins for use in
      drawing up boat plans? An on-line source would be ideal.
    • Peter Vanderwaart
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2000
        > Does anybody know where I can get drafting dolphins for use in
        > drawing up boat plans? An on-line source would be ideal.

        Tom MacNaughton thinks he is the only supplier in existence:

        http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/school.htm

        Peter
      • pmcrannell@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 29, 2000
          Boy! At $30 each, I'd try to find out how to make them. McNaughton
          says you need 14 of them. $420.00!!!

          Take care,
          Pete

          --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Bruce " <bgbeck55@y...> wrote:
          > Does anybody know where I can get drafting dolphins for use in
          > drawing up boat plans? An on-line source would be ideal.
        • Stephen & Marie Heil
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2000
            There was an article in WoodenBoat a few years back describing how to
            make them. I recall that the article referred to then as "ducks"
            rather than "dolphins" though.

            --- Steve Heil

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 29, 2000
              > Boy! At $30 each, I'd try to find out how to make them.

              There was a scheme for making them in WoodenBoat a few issues back.
              The basic idea was a wooden box filled with lead shot. They were big,
              but looked good and were a lot cheaper than $30 each.

              PHV
            • Stan Muller
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 29, 2000
                Since this is the group that is famous for it's keel casting, it
                wouldn't be that hard to build up a multiple position mold from sheet
                rock and make fourteen lofting dogs. (dolphins) Start collecting some
                wheel weights and have at it. About two inch cubes should do fine.
                Good luck, Stan, Snow Goose.
              • darus@visi.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 29, 2000
                  --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Bruce " <bgbeck55@y...> wrote:
                  > Does anybody know where I can get drafting dolphins for use in
                  > drawing up boat plans? An on-line source would be ideal.

                  Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is a drafting dolphin?
                • Peter Vanderwaart
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 29, 2000
                    > Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is a drafting dolphin?

                    a.k.a. spline weight. Used in drafting to hold splines in position.
                    Usually a lead weight with felt on the bottom (to keep the lead from
                    making marks on the drawing) and a hook (to engage the spline).

                    If you went to a source of sheet lead, for example people who do x-
                    ray shielding, perhaps you could get a sheet of 2" thick lead that
                    could just be sawn into blocks.

                    PHV
                  • Bruce
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 29, 2000
                      --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Stephen & Marie Heil" <casaheil@w...>
                      wrote:
                      > There was an article in WoodenBoat a few years back describing how
                      > make them. I recall that the article referred to then as "ducks"
                      > rather than "dolphins" though.
                      >
                      > --- Steve Heil

                      There are two articles on making spline weights or "ducks".
                      Woodenboat #119, p97. #152 pg 192. Thank goodness for "back issues".
                      I'd never heard them called anything but "dolphins" before now.
                      Thanks group!
                    • Rick
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 29, 2000
                        Dolphins, ducks, whales, all depends on the shape of the heavy lead
                        part.

                        For a cheap but functional version try;

                        A six inch 2" x 4" with a 16d nail driven 1/3 the way in on end, cut
                        the head of the nail off, bend it 90 degrees so it sticks down a bit
                        more than the 2x4, felt (or duct tape) the bottom of the 2x4, and
                        duct tape a brick or a chunk of metal to the top for weight.

                        Rick