[bolger] Re: Bobcat's lazyjacks and othe stuff

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 1999
      Pippo:

      Congratulations on starting your project.

      Just to make sure, I consulted Bolger, and here is what he says; The lazy
      jacks have two purposes, 1) to act as a topping lift, holding the boom up
      when the sail is down, and 2) to help control the sail while it is being
      lowered. I hope this helps.

      Chuck

      > Dear all - as anticipated, I'm about to start cutting wood for the
      > Bobcat. Question: what are the lazyjacks for? Dynamite doesn't give the
      > answer in his book - he just says that he understood their function
      > after reading PCB's "100 small boat rigs". Do I have to buy the book to
      > know? Cheers - Pippo

      > NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9% FIXED APR. Apply online today!
      > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/606
      >

      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger

    • GHC
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 1999
        Lazyjacks are right at home on a gaff-rigged catboat. They support the
        spars when down (topping lift), and gather up the sail of the deck until
        you can straighten it out.

        I have lazy jacks on my Freedom; they work even better with full-battened
        sails. Of course, no racer would even consider, though, them because of
        the additional windage!

        Gregg