Re: [bolger] Breakdown Schooner

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 10, 2000
      David:

      At almost 50 ft. wouldn't you give up legal trailerability? In BWAOM,
      Bolger states that he designed the boat in three parts to trailered to the
      water in three trips, and assembled on the water. This makes sense if you
      live quite close to the water, in an area where marinas are expensive or
      non-existent, and boating is seasonal.

      Chuck

      > My gut tells me you'd have to get something in exchange for giving up
      > the breakdown aspect. Does such a beast exist?
      >
      > YIBB,
      >
      > David
    • David Ryan
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 11, 2000
        FBBB --

        Does anyone know if a non-breakdown version of the break-down
        schooner has ever been built?

        My gut tells me you'd have to get something in exchange for giving up
        the breakdown aspect. Does such a beast exist?

        YIBB,

        David
        YIBB,

        David

        A Teal called lil'winnie
        A Light Scooner called Margaret Ellen
      • Peter Vanderwaart
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 11, 2000
          To quote from BWAOM,
          "With stronger construction and the bow well decked in, she wouldn't
          need any restriction to protected water..."

          That is what I think you would get from a non-breakdown version.

          By-the-way, I would want to know more about the 'irrelevant details'
          that had to be straightened out to get her to sail well. I suspect
          PCB sometimes glosses over some of these things when they turn out OK
          in the end.

          For example, with the Triad schooner, apparently the leeboards didn't
          sink at first. The builder was blamed for obstructing the drains.
          Then it was suggested that flooding/draining of leeboards would never
          happen fast enough for it to be satisfactory. Clearly there was a
          learning process.

          Peter
        • David Ryan
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 11, 2000
            FBBB --

            It was my impression that these "irrelevant details" applied to a
            version that fit entirely on one trailer. The paragraph continues,
            "Bill's willingness to make several trips to the launching ramp
            improved the design considerably."

            I had a brief exchange with Bob Wise asking him questions about the
            Loose Moose II, most especially what he thought he might replace her
            with. A "non-breakdown" BDS was one of his thoughts, but we never got
            into what he thought he would gain over building it as designed, but
            given his penchant for sailing across oceans, perhaps it was a little
            more seaworthiness he was after.

            My only real complaint about the BDS is that it just doesn't look
            that great. I know that's close to heresy, but to quote another list
            member, "There are Bolger boats I love and those I admire." I
            wouldn't quite offer the BDS the faint praise of "admiration" but it
            doesn't stir my imagination nearly as much as some of his other
            designs, including some of his less conventional boats.

            YIBB,

            David

            A Teal called lil'winnie
            A Light Scooner called Margaret Ellen
          • R Coy
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 11, 2000
              --- Chuck Leinweber <chuck@...>
              wrote:
              > At almost 50 ft. wouldn't you give up legal
              > trailerability? In BWAOM,

              You can trailer a 50 foot boat in hte US, which is
              where I believe it is being considered.
              If it is more than 8 ft wide you need a overwidth
              permit. No big deal. If it is too tall on hte
              trailer, Which I believe is 13.5 ft, due to 14ft
              overpasses, You might have to deal with special routes
              and have the power company drop power lines to allow
              you to pass. A real expensive proposition for each
              move.
              You can move houses on trailes but they only move once
              a new location. Sometimes it's cheaper to move the
              boat on water.
              I don't know all of the answers as I don't know all of
              the specific info. I don't need to.
              If you can trtailer such a rig in the bredth and scope
              of a semi, All you need is the tractor and the lowboy
              trailer to do so.
              It might be more ridged if built as one piece but is
              there a saving grace in floation with three sections?
              Roger

              http://calendar.yahoo.com/
            • peter lenihan
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 11, 2000
                David,
                Do not know if one exists but have you seen Phil Bolgers RONDO
                II design or even his BLACK GAUNTLET?Perhaps a tiny pilot house could
                be added to give you standing room to rustle up a meal or pull your
                drawers up.
                Sincerely,
                Peter Lenihan
                Micro"LESTAT"

                --- In bolger@egroups.com, David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
                > FBBB --
                >
                > Does anyone know if a non-breakdown version of the break-down
                > schooner has ever been built?
                >
                > My gut tells me you'd have to get something in exchange for giving
                up
                > the breakdown aspect. Does such a beast exist?
                >
                > YIBB,
                >
                > David
                > YIBB,
                >
                > David
                >
                > A Teal called lil'winnie
                > A Light Scooner called Margaret Ellen
              • Mark Albanese
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 25, 2001
                  There's a whole photo album of Bill McKibben's Bolger boats,
                  including "Saghali", the water ballasted 46 footer. Drawings
                  are apparently in BWOM.

                  http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/mckib/Page.html

                  Mark
                • Clyde S. Wisner
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 25, 2001
                    Thanks for this posting, the orriginal Fast Motor Sailer has always been of interest to me. A
                    lenghtened and wider Diablo it appears. Clyde

                    Mark Albanese wrote:

                    > There's a whole photo album of Bill McKibben's Bolger boats,
                    > including "Saghali", the water ballasted 46 footer. Drawings
                    > are apparently in BWOM.
                    >
                    > http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/mckib/Page.html
                    >
                    > Mark

                  • Mark Albanese
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 25, 2001
                      Clyde,

                      Yes! Fast Motor Sailor ( Light ) is in probably in the
                      category of, "All the cruising boat most people ever need."
                      Do you have the SBJ cartoon?

                      Mark

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 26, 2001
                        PCB sent me a copy of the article when I inquired. I was looking for something I could sail and also
                        motor for a fishing boat on the Ches Bay. In the meantime I got a really good buy on a Freedom 21 cat
                        boat which is fortunate because I've been building a house for two years now. By spring I hope to get
                        back to okume and epoxy. Clyde

                        Mark Albanese wrote:

                        > Clyde,
                        >
                        > Yes! Fast Motor Sailor ( Light ) is in probably in the
                        > category of, "All the cruising boat most people ever need."
                        > Do you have the SBJ cartoon?
                        >
                        > Mark
                        >
                        > "Clyde S. Wisner" wrote:
                        > >
                        > > the original Fast Motor Sailer
                        > > has always been of interest to me. A
                        > > lenghtened and wider Diablo it appears. Clyde

                      • David Davis
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
                          Any one have experience with the Breakdown Schooner?
                          # 60 in BWOM

                          Any chance of single hand sailing her? It looks as if the sheets
                          could be lead to the aft cabin, just handling the wheel and two or
                          three sheets at the same time seem unlikely.

                          Maybe with a self tending jib the main and fore sail could be pulled
                          near centerline before the wheel was put over. Any thoughts?

                          Any un-used plans that might be for sale?

                          David Davis
                        • FIGURE IT OUT!
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 18, 2005
                            I would like to know about this boat and any possible problems or
                            difficulties with them.That is either while building it or sailing it.
                            Also has anyone ever built one so that it does not break down?
                            Has Phil ever done any modifications for this?
                          • Susan Davis
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 19, 2005
                              > I would like to know about this boat and any possible problems or
                              > difficulties with them.That is either while building it or sailing it.

                              The chief problem with the design is that there's a better one
                              available now (or, hopefully, soon at least): the Insolent 60, which
                              folds up for transport in a single trip. My other reservation about
                              her is that she needs to be hauled in three pieces, but there's only
                              berth space for two couples. If I were building one, I'd consider
                              converting the bow well into a forward v-berth, and I think I'd try to
                              work out a way to reinforce the latching mechanism between the three
                              hulls; what's there at the moment seems a bit flimsy.

                              > Also has anyone ever built one so that it does not break down?

                              I've never heard of any Breakdown Schooner launches other than the
                              original _Saghali_.

                              --
                              Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                            • David
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 15, 2011
                                The breakdown schooner itself fascinates me as a vessel as well as the concept of being broken down. In actual fact, even in a non-breakdown format, I consider it an interesting proposal with the central cockpit and separate quarters fore and aft. It seems to me like a variation on the Bolger AS line using water ballast for a 40+ ft boat with the benefits (and problems) of the schooner rig.

                                Does anyone know of a breakdown schooner other than the original one described in BWAOM?

                                Does anyone know what happened to the original?

                                David
                              • mike graf
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 15, 2011
                                  I like that boat too! The original was built in southern B.C.. Quick and
                                  dirty. tarp sails and an old 20 hp motor. Everyone said it was fast and
                                  comfortable. Original owner sold it to a livaboard.
                                  That's the Georgia Straits and seas can really build up there. Opposing
                                  wind and tide. Great sailing
                                  4 guys could form a conglomerate and build one piece each and the forth
                                  the sail rig and outboard(lights and electrical)......could build it in
                                  a month or two

                                  One piece boat would be a quicker build BUT with three moves you could
                                  store a 40 ftr in you yard That's a lot of winter storage $$$ Hull speed
                                  8.5 knots. Pretty easy to make un-sinkable.