[bolger] Bobcat's lazyjacks and othe stuff

  • pippobianco@tin.it
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 1999
      Dear all - as anticipated, I'm about to start cutting wood for the
      Bobcat. Question: what are the lazyjacks for? Dynamite doesn't give the
      answer in his book - he just says that he understood their function
      after reading PCB's "100 small boat rigs". Do I have to buy the book to
      know? Cheers - Pippo
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 1999
        Pippo:

        Congratulations on starting your project.

        Just to make sure, I consulted Bolger, and here is what he says; The lazy
        jacks have two purposes, 1) to act as a topping lift, holding the boom up
        when the sail is down, and 2) to help control the sail while it is being
        lowered. I hope this helps.

        Chuck

        > Dear all - as anticipated, I'm about to start cutting wood for the
        > Bobcat. Question: what are the lazyjacks for? Dynamite doesn't give the
        > answer in his book - he just says that he understood their function
        > after reading PCB's "100 small boat rigs". Do I have to buy the book to
        > know? Cheers - Pippo

        > NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9% FIXED APR. Apply online today!
        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/606
        >

        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger

      • GHC
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8, 1999
          Lazyjacks are right at home on a gaff-rigged catboat. They support the
          spars when down (topping lift), and gather up the sail of the deck until
          you can straighten it out.

          I have lazy jacks on my Freedom; they work even better with full-battened
          sails. Of course, no racer would even consider, though, them because of
          the additional windage!

          Gregg