[bolger] Re: Idaho?

  • Donald Hodges
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 1999

      Chuck Leinweber (on this list) has built Tennessee, and may jump in and
      answer some of your questions... (help, Chuck!).

      I only know Tennessee has a bit of rocker toward the stern, and is
      advertised for low-hp (9.9 typically) engines. This makes her pretty much a
      displacement boat with some extra speed potential for being light and
      narrow. That's 7 knots plus the light/narrow factor, I would guess 8.5-9.0
      knots (9.8 - 10.4 mph).

      I have built a few small boats (and bought or studied more than I will
      admit!), and a real planing hull is almost flat to even a bit "hooked" at
      the stern in order to keep them more level and minimize the bow-up plowing
      that precedes rising to plane. Big power boats use hydraulic trim plates to
      hook the bottom going up to plane, then trim toward flat for cruising on
      plane. For a simple boat like Tennessee, flat is probably close enough to
      give her some planing potential if enough power is installed. Rule of thumb
      here is one hp per 50 to 100 lb weight. If we assumed 75 lb/hp for
      Tennessee and 1500 lb, we are at 20 hp just to sustain planing, and probably
      35 hp needed to acheive planing initially. Based on Gregg's experience with
      the Sneakeasy (which is flat) I'm probably still a bit optimistic. BUT, I
      have said I would settle for 11-12 knots (12.6 - 13.8 mph) or so with two
      aboard if not redlining the engine and just plowing along.

      So, I'll just leave the question out here: has anyone clocked a Tennessee
      with 25 hp installed, "stock" or with a flat bottom?

      Don Hodges
      Lynn Haven, FL