Watervan

  • cliff25@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 6, 2000
      The other day, while reading through some old Sunset magazines at
      Michigan State University, I was stunned to see a watervan offered as a
      rental in the "Houseboats" for rent section of the classifieds. It as a
      rendering, not a photo, but it was from the exact same perspective as
      the Bolger line drawing.

      The ad was inviting us to take a Delta Van vacation on their 25' Delta
      Van Cruiser. The next line read, "Developed by Anderson, Anderson, and
      Fortier." Whatever than means.

      It was in the Feb., '81 issue of Sunset. Page 31.

      CM

      http://www.angelfire.com/mi/mmmkkk/
      (Last of the Red Hot DJs)
    • c_i_becker@yahoo.com.au
      Message 2 of 26 , May 22, 2001
        Has anyone got an idea of the loaded and unloaded displacement of the
        Watervan?

        I can't see any specs except lenght/breadth in the Files section.

        Chris B.
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 4 9:15 AM
          John,

          Have you checked out this baby, here in the files section? I find it
          has an uncanny similarity to my LWB full-sized Chevy van and could be
          towed with a regular flat bed trailer I would think.

          Seems it is the next step upwards over the CCS

          "Watervan"

          Design #632

          6.92M x 2.46M (22.7 feet x 8.07 feet)

          This boat was designed primarily For Australian rivers and lakes,
          although
          capable of alongshore or even offshore passages in reasonable
          weather, in
          fact, she would have a better chance in heavy weather than most small
          power
          cruisers if she was prudently handled, doors and windows secured,
          etc.

          The specification called for queen sized double berth, a dinette
          convertible
          to a second double berth, a comfortable helm seat and forward view
          underway
          for two or three other people, enclosed toilet room, workable galley,
          standing headroom throughout and a cruising speed of 20 mph with as
          tittle
          wake and noise as possible, all inside the dimensions given for
          convenience
          in trailer hauling. Her owner originally proposed her to be powered
          with a
          diesel waterjet, but when the cost of the power plant became clear,
          he
          decided to settle for the 90 hp, four-stroke outboard motor which is
          also
          a good deal lighter and less intrusive on the cabin. "
        • john_fader
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 4 9:33 AM
            Thanks, Nels,

            that is an interesting boat, but it doesn't come near to meeting my
            requirements. First, I am not thinnking about the smallest boat that
            can do the job, but rather a spread out accomodation that one could
            live with permanently (while keeping overall size down to a reasonable
            envelope). Second, the state series look of a past era is a firm
            requirement. I'd rather not live if I have to live gracelessly :-)

            The above is no criticism of Watervan, but rather a complaint about my
            own peccadilloes :-)

            Cheers/The Fader

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 4 10:19 AM
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "john_fader" <johnfader@b...> wrote:
              > Thanks, Nels,
              I'd rather not live if I have to live gracelessly :-)

              > The above is no criticism of Watervan, but rather a complaint about
              my
              > own peccadilloes :-)
              >
              > Cheers/The Fader

              Well you have to understand it was designed for Aussies.

              Nels (Wondering what that says about the Chevy van?)
            • bruce@hallman.org
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 4 10:55 AM
                --- "Nels" <arvent@h...> wrote:
                > Nels (Wondering what that
                > says about the Chevy van?)

                Or, perhaps, a 1959 Buick?

                http://tinyurl.com/ytwf7
              • john_fader
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 4 11:34 AM
                  Nels,

                  I fear that I've offended you and that was *so far* from my intention.
                  I was, perhaps clumsily, attempting to mock my own stuffiness. Please
                  forgive me any offence that I have caused.

                  Don

                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 4 12:17 PM
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "john_fader" <johnfader@b...> wrote:
                    > Nels,
                    >
                    > I fear that I've offended you and that was *so far* from my
                    intention.
                    > I was, perhaps clumsily, attempting to mock my own stuffiness.
                    Please
                    > forgive me any offence that I have caused.
                    >
                    > Don

                    I appreciate your thoughtfullness - but I was not offended in the
                    least and was chuckling while writing my response, as I was hoping to
                    get a rise out of some of the Aussies:-)

                    I saw how you intended your comments and feel much the same way. Even
                    PCB&F share that to some degree. In the review they have this to say
                    about the Watervan:

                    " The effect on the scenery of a fleet of them is legitimately
                    arguable."

                    By the same token, I can see the advantages of towing one to Florida,
                    rather than towing a travel trailer of the same size. Not sure how
                    the cost of marina hook-ups compares to campground hook-ups costwise,
                    but it certainly gives you some wider options for camping spots!

                    Perhaps Bos'n Bruce could investigate this further?

                    Also I believe he was going to check out "Pelican" the Bantam
                    houseboat down there somewhere?

                    http://www.treasurecoasthouseboatrentals.com/

                    Cheers, Nels
                  • Chris Stewart
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 4 12:21 PM
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "john_fader" <johnfader@b...> wrote:
                      > The above is no criticism of Watervan, but rather a complaint about
                      my own peccadilloes :-)

                      Peccadillo? Had to look that one up. Thought it might be a cross
                      between a peccary and an armadillo (and if that ain't a misbehavior
                      nothing is).

                      Chris Stewart
                    • David Romasco
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 4 2:38 PM
                        I once heard the half-life of a family reunion defined as that time between
                        when it begins and the first utterance of: "And exactly what is THAT
                        supposed to mean?!"

                        David

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 4 2:39 PM
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "john_fader" <johnfader@b...> wrote:
                          > Nels,
                          >
                          > I fear that I've offended you and that was *so far* from my
                          intention.
                          > I was, perhaps clumsily, attempting to mock my own stuffiness.
                          Please
                          > forgive me any offence that I have caused.
                          >
                          > Don
                          I replied to this already but it never got through.

                          I was well aware that you were mocking yourself and I was chuckling
                          as I saw it as an opportunity to take a shot at the Aussies.

                          One must never be easily offended if one wishes to take part in this
                          group:-)

                          Cheers, Nels
                        • Bruce Hector
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 4 4:21 PM
                            See here:
                            for some grainy shots and line drawing.
                            Somewhere in either Bolger, Bolger2 or 3 there are some nicely
                            detailed coloue shots too.

                            Bruce Hector
                          • vicskiff
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 4 9:26 PM
                              To tie together a couple of threads, albeit a little tardily...
                              Watervan is not a sharpie, of course, but rather a further step
                              along an evolutionary path from Fiddler II, mentioned earlier.
                              Watervan is considerably larger, an all-indoor boat (one pilots
                              Fiddler II while standing in a transverse slot aft, looking over a
                              cabin with 4 feet of headroom), and adds a box keel. Fiddler II has
                              long intrigued me but, insofar as I know, no plans are available,
                              PCB not having taken it beyond a design exercise.

                              As mentioned by others, Cabin Clam Skiff is close to the sharpie
                              form but features a River Thames 'saloon launch' cabin. Vey stylish
                              for a 'square boat' but lots of windage despite less-than-standing
                              headroom. As I go round and round considering 'next boats', CCS
                              regularly comes to the fore. But then come thoughts of how it might
                              be better. And I'm really taken aback by the lack of detail -- key
                              dimensions, even, and no specs sheet or materials list -- that
                              Bolger provides in the blueprints.

                              My 2 cents (Cdn).

                              John

                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "john_fader" <johnfader@b...> wrote:
                              > Thanks, Nels,
                              >
                              > that is an interesting boat, but it doesn't come near to meeting
                              my
                              > requirements. First, I am not thinnking about the smallest boat
                              that
                              > can do the job, but rather a spread out accomodation that one
                              could
                              > live with permanently (while keeping overall size down to a
                              reasonable
                              > envelope). Second, the state series look of a past era is a firm
                              > requirement. I'd rather not live if I have to live gracelessly :-)
                              >
                              > The above is no criticism of Watervan, but rather a complaint
                              about my
                              > own peccadilloes :-)
                              >
                              > Cheers/The Fader
                            • Stefan Gutermuth
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 5 6:31 AM
                                My Partner George, & I have built, and have been operating for the past
                                3 years the only "Bolger Watervan" in the Northern Hemisphere. It is a
                                wonderful, any weather, full 3 season craft. It got a lot of attention
                                on the Eire Canal this fall. Lots of comments like, "what a perfect
                                canal / intercostal live aboard".

                                It worked very well for the two week trip. We built the Watervan with a
                                roof strong enough to be used as a deck, actually not much higher than a
                                normal 25' boat, but with the added benefit of a fully enclosed
                                interior. Useful floor of 20' x 8'.

                                If you're interested, I'll furnish pictures. E-mail me directly at:
                                stefan-g@... with additional information requests.

                                Stefan Gutermuth

                                To tie together a couple of threads, albeit a little tardily...
                                Watervan is not a sharpie, of course, but rather a further step
                                along an evolutionary path from Fiddler II, mentioned earlier.
                                Watervan is considerably larger, an all-indoor boat (one pilots
                                Fiddler II while standing in a transverse slot aft, looking over a
                                cabin with 4 feet of headroom), and adds a box keel. Fiddler II has
                                long intrigued me but, insofar as I know, no plans are available,
                                PCB not having taken it beyond a design exercise.

                                As mentioned by others, Cabin Clam Skiff is close to the sharpie
                                form but features a River Thames 'saloon launch' cabin. Vey stylish
                                for a 'square boat' but lots of windage despite less-than-standing
                                headroom. As I go round and round considering 'next boats', CCS
                                regularly comes to the fore. But then come thoughts of how it might
                                be better. And I'm really taken aback by the lack of detail -- key
                                dimensions, even, and no specs sheet or materials list -- that
                                Bolger provides in the blueprints.

                                My 2 cents (Cdn).

                                John

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "john_fader" <johnfader@b...> wrote:
                                > Thanks, Nels,
                                >
                                > that is an interesting boat, but it doesn't come near to meeting
                                my
                                > requirements. First, I am not thinnking about the smallest boat
                                that
                                > can do the job, but rather a spread out accomodation that one
                                could
                                > live with permanently (while keeping overall size down to a
                                reasonable
                                > envelope). Second, the state series look of a past era is a firm
                                > requirement. I'd rather not live if I have to live gracelessly :-)
                                >
                                > The above is no criticism of Watervan, but rather a complaint
                                about my
                                > own peccadilloes :-)
                                >
                                > Cheers/The Fader

                                Bolger rules!!!
                                - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930,
                                Fax: (978) 282-1349

                                _____

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Nels
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 5 8:01 AM
                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Gutermuth" <stefan-g@m...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > My Partner George, & I have built, and have been operating for the
                                  past
                                  > 3 years the only "Bolger Watervan" in the Northern Hemisphere. It
                                  is a
                                  > wonderful, any weather, full 3 season craft. It got a lot of
                                  attention
                                  > on the Eire Canal this fall. Lots of comments like, "what a perfect
                                  > canal / intercostal live aboard".

                                  There are some photos of a WATERVAN at Bolger2 in the folder
                                  entitled "Bolger Boats". Is that yours?

                                  Any idea what the trailer weight is?

                                  Thanks, Nels
                                • Glenn
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 13, 2006
                                    Does anyone know average fuel consumption of a Watervan or Sneakeasy
                                    and what size motor that was with, we are looking into building both
                                    boats and my wife has concerns.

                                    Glenn
                                  • Harry James
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 13, 2006
                                      Fritz Funk moved his Sneakeasy to Wisconsin, it has a 15 hp on it. The
                                      year before last he made a camping trip up the Mississippi and back of
                                      approximately 200 miles and used one tank of gas. The fuel consumption
                                      on his boat is so low it is not a consideration. The 15 hp is more than
                                      enough motor, I have cruised locally in Juneau on this boat and it is fast.

                                      http://www.alaska.net/~fritzf/Boats/Sneakeasy/Sneakeasy.htm

                                      HJ

                                      Glenn wrote:
                                      > Does anyone know average fuel consumption of a Watervan or Sneakeasy
                                      > and what size motor that was with, we are looking into building both
                                      > boats and my wife has concerns.
                                      >
                                      > Glenn

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Glenn
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 18, 2006
                                        Does anyone know the material cost or projected construction cost for
                                        a Watervan.

                                        Glenn
                                      • Nels
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 19, 2006
                                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn" <linda_glenn@...> wrote:

                                          > Does anyone know the material cost or projected construction cost
                                          for
                                          > a Watervan.
                                          >
                                          > Glenn

                                          I expect it would be very difficult to get any worthwhile
                                          projections without contacting PCB&F themselves as there are no
                                          scantlings really mentioned in any of the write-ups I have seen.

                                          Then the next factor to consider is what quality of materials and
                                          finish are you considering? This can affect the hull cost by 100% or
                                          more.

                                          The third factor is that Watervan would require a fairly expensive
                                          motor (90 hp) and trailer and enough power to tow it all.

                                          Watervan also has a fair ammount of equipment and furnishings
                                          inside, plumbing, controls, electrical, much like a Class B
                                          motorhome, or a tandem wheeled travel trailer - which it could
                                          double as - on longer trips especially.

                                          I would take a wild guess that I would like to have about 15-20K set
                                          aside to get a good quality finished product with a reliable 4-
                                          stroke motor and tandem wheeled trailer.

                                          A guy like Bruce Hallman could likely do it for half that and have
                                          twice as much fun in doing it:-)

                                          Fax PCB&F and enquire if you are at all serious.

                                          Nels
                                        • Waldo F. Odonahue
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 19, 2006
                                            I contacted Bolger to see if he had a plan for a larger (longer, widder, higher) version of Watervan. He didn't have plans for the latter. The design just looks like it would be very simple/quick to build.

                                            > Does anyone know the material cost or projected construction cost
                                            for
                                            > a Watervan.
                                            >
                                            > Glenn

                                            I expect it would be very difficult to get any worthwhile
                                            projections without contacting PCB&F themselves as there are no
                                            scantlings really mentioned in any of the write-ups I have seen.

                                            Then the next factor to consider is what quality of materials and
                                            finish are you considering? This can affect the hull cost by 100% or
                                            more.

                                            The third factor is that Watervan would require a fairly expensive
                                            motor (90 hp) and trailer and enough power to tow it all.

                                            Watervan also has a fair ammount of equipment and furnishings
                                            inside, plumbing, controls, electrical, much like a Class B
                                            motorhome, or a tandem wheeled travel trailer - which it could
                                            double as - on longer trips especially.

                                            I would take a wild guess that I would like to have about 15-20K set
                                            aside to get a good quality finished product with a reliable 4-
                                            stroke motor and tandem wheeled trailer.

                                            A guy like Bruce Hallman could likely do it for half that and have
                                            twice as much fun in doing it:-)

                                          • Bryant Owen
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 19, 2006
                                              You might contact Stefan Gutermuth in Jew Jersey. He built one of two
                                              in the world. I had the opportunity to go for a ride on it at the 2006
                                              Kingston Messabout. See
                                              http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/gatherings/kingston/index.htm

                                              I don't have a contact for Steve but I'm sure Bruce Hector, who hosted
                                              the event, does. BTW - my understanding was that there was to be a
                                              Messabout in New Jersey that Steve was - as of the Kingston Messabout
                                              - setting up. Haven't heard anything since. Anyone?

                                              Bryant

                                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn" <linda_glenn@...> wrote:

                                              > Does anyone know the material cost or projected construction cost for
                                              > a Watervan.
                                              >
                                              > Glenn

                                            • Bryant Owen
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 19, 2006
                                                Sorry about the typo. No political, religious or otherwise comment
                                                intended.

                                                Bryant

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 21, 2006
                                                  > cost for a Watervan. > Glenn
                                                  Guessing,
                                                  Used motor $5,000
                                                  Trailer $2,500
                                                  Wood $2,500
                                                  Epoxy $1,500
                                                  Fitout $5,000
                                                  ==============
                                                  $16,500 baseline which could be doubled (or more) by 'gold plating'.

                                                  500 to 1,000+ manhours?
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jul 21, 2010
                                                    >On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Harry Tams <harrytams@...> wrote:
                                                    >

                                                    > My main interest presently is the Bolger Watervan or similar sized step sharpie power vessels.

                                                    I think only two were ever built. One was photographed in Canada in 2005.

                                                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryant_owen/58816573/
                                                  • prairiedog2332
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Nov 26, 2010
                                                    • hightop32736
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jun 3, 2011
                                                        I stand corrected as to the name.
                                                        I found a site of interest
                                                        "duckflatboats.com" There is a series of boats called "nomad" that were built by this company
                                                        with credit due to Mr. Bolger. Similar to the Tennessee design. The interesting part of this is the electric power.