Lead vs. Water Ballast

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2000
      FBBB --

      Pippo's assertion is correct. Assuming the same center of mass, an
      equal mass of lead or water will function the same in ballasting a
      boat. But as I said before, I think the "same center of mass" part is
      a red herring.

      Lead is a lot denser than water. Assuming the lead and water as both
      placed as low as they can be, respectively, the centers of mass of
      the two will be very different. Set up a few scenarios and it quickly
      becomes apparent that this difference is not trivial. In nearly all
      scenarios, the denser the ballast, the more effective a given mass
      (cases where this is not true involve bizzare hull shapes and/or
      ballast placements.) In some scenarios, a smaller mass of lead will
      be more effective than a much larger mass of water.

      Of course water does have some advantages; it's cheap, and you don't
      have to drag it from place to place with your boat. Lastly, it can
      only pull you boat down so far into the water. These advantages
      aren't trivial either. ;-)

      YIBB,

      David

      CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS