Re: [bolger] Re: Doubling the Scooner Revisited - structure

  • Jeff Gilbert
    Message 1 of 57 , Nov 1, 2000
      The bottom line is that wood is lighter than water in most cases.
      Unless you are using one of the very rare and expensive timbers
      that dont float, thickening the bottom strengthens your boat without
      ballasting it.
      However it may lower the boats center of gravity which i suppose could
      be cited as a "ballasting' effect.
      I have a dory hulled catamaran design with a 25mm ply bottom...the
      reason for it is it is a main structural element, it is both sole and
      bottom,
      and I want it to be capable of taking a bit of a gouge if beached
      where a rock shouldnt be but often is.
      This bottom is carefully bevelled to take the sloping sides.
      I reckon this sort of thick bottom, with 9mm ply sides
      and 12mm bulkheads can do without chine logs.
      Just an epoxy fillet inside after glueing.
      Any opinions.
      Jeff Gilbert.

      > > <<She is ballasted by a very thick (1 1/2")wood bottom.>>
      > > Is there any reason the same idea shouldn't apply to a small
      sailing
      > > skiff---to use heavy ply for the bottom?
      >
      > I think the reason is that it makes the boat heavier when it is on
      > land. And cost more, of course.
      >
      > PHV

      Bolger rules!!!
      - no cursing
      - stay on topic
      - use punctuation
      - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts
      - add some content: send "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
    • Andrew Wallace
      Message 57 of 57 , Mar 29, 2004
        Got my lines crossed Peter. I did mean 'Black Skimmer'
        - the one Don B was speaking of here in NZ - her name
        is Skipjack. And as Don said, she does have a
        centreboard - beautiful lines preserved!!

        http://au.movies.yahoo.com