Re: [bolger] Blundered Pointy Skiff Near Completion

  • Richard Spelling
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
      Yes. Take pictures. Then take the boat out and bang it into the dock a
      couple of times, drag it over some rocks, and throw some mud inside it.

      Then you can stop worrying about the perfect finish, and have fun!

      I'm pretty much at the same stage with my Larsboat. Has a nice pretty finish
      on it, and I'm hesitating to take the boat out and USE it!

      Will take my own advice this weekend.

    • sonicwonder@hushmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
        Just wanted to drop the group a note of thanks for the help they have
        offered. My, ehhm, "modified" pointy skiff (named Skiffy) with
        it's 58" beam is near completion. I spent forever, it seems,
        fairing, painting, painting, painting, and repainting. I was wanting
        the finish to be flawless but over the last 3 weeks of finishing, my
        perfectionism seems to have dwindled. The boat is not epoxy
        encapsulated so I applied lots of latex coats. I foam rolled 3 coats
        of Zinsser primer to the entire boat, 3 coats of Behr exterior latex
        (in 3 different colors) and hand painted the trim (2 coats). The foam
        roller I used was said to be the best available but the darn thing
        applied coats so thinly that I could see the roller strokes in the
        paint even after 3 coats. I finally broke down and applied a THICK
        forth coat of paint with a cheaper roller - no streaks but major
        orange peel finish. DOH!... A word of advice here: a little planning
        and masking tape early can save a lot of work later; I have flipped
        this boat over no less than 10 times in the last week - A little
        run here, another drip there, "wouldn't yellow look great over the
        blue here?", etc. The irony of the whole thing is that this is a
        workboat and is probably destined to be banged up anyway! To make a
        long story short, one more coat on the bottom to cover the chine log
        overpaint and I'm done!! I've included some pics in the files
        section for you good people to see. I will be taking more pictures
        shortly as these pics are about 2 weeks old (the boat looks much
        better now).

        Also - how long should I wait before launch? It has been 2 weeks but
        my hull paint still feels a bit tacky and surface impressions are
        left when I dent it with a fingernail. It has been rainy and cold
        here in Southern California but I have kept a heater active in the
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
          --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@s...> wrote:
          > Yes. Take pictures. Then take the boat out and bang it into the dock
          > couple of times, drag it over some rocks, and throw some mud inside
          it.

          > Then you can stop worrying about the perfect finish, and have fun!
          >
          > I'm pretty much at the same stage with my Larsboat. Has a nice
          pretty finish
          > on it, and I'm hesitating to take the boat out and USE it!
          >
          > Will take my own advice this weekend.

          Hehe...Good to know someone else is in the same boat so to speak!
          Pictures are now up under the "Skiffy" folder. More to come soon ...