Re: [bolger] Re: Micro keel/Navigator rig

  • Jim Goeckermann
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2000
      The list has cycled through keel casting before, but since there are some new
      builders it might be worth repeating the following:
      Lead can be melted on the kitchen stove (not suggested) or its equivalent - it
      only takes around 750 degrees F. The fumes are toxic, and the arsenic usually
      found in the melt is a concern. Normal free-flowing ventilation will take care
      of this.
      Any (Really, ANY - even a teaspoon!) water can be disasterous. A dripping tin
      roof, a dipper with a few drops of water, or wet wheelweights added to the melt
      can blow the melt right out of the pot and all over you. Thick gloves, good
      boots, layered (non-synthetic) clothing is called for. Eye protection is a must.

      BUT, it is really not that hard to do, and the lead can be sawed (even planed)
      once cast, and since the Micro puts it all in a box, it is OK to have a flawed
      casting. A half a dozen borrowed Coleman stoves and a few garage sale cast iron
      pots will get you in the backyard foundary business. Anyone who has never
      skimmed pieces of steel that are floating on a shiny pool of lead is missing a
      thrill. Furthermore, you may know an expert - any friends who cast bullets or
      fishing weights? Drift boat anchors?
      If the lead is really that much of a block to your building, think about a steel
      piece from a metal salvage yard. They are reasonable, sell by the pound, and
      will cut to order.
      Lastly,( though I have cast a lot of lead - but never a keel) consider doing
      your cast into a 3 sided box. If it is level, you don't need a top! Disclaimer
      - I haven't done it, but I know that the lead finds level all by itself.
      Jim