Re: junk sails

  • Vince Chew
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
      Cliff,

      I have never sailed on one. All I know is what I have read. A famous
      small boat, JESTER, sailed with a junk rig in the first singlehanded
      transatlantic race in 1960. Since that race, JESTER has made many long
      ocean voyages with the same rig -- including at least 13 transatlantic
      crossings. Another famous solo circumnavigation was made by the boat
      Galway Blazer II with a junk rig.

      They are said not to be as close winded as a modern rig, but, as they
      say, "Gentlemen never sail to weather," anyway. The ease of reefing is
      claimed to make them good heavy weather sails. A lot depends on the
      rest of the boat's characteristics. the sail is only one part of the
      equation.

      Vince