Re: [bolger] Re: junk sails

  • cliff25@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
      Thanks, Vince. I wonder how the junk sails sail? Can they take a stiff
      breeze?

      CM

      http://www.angelfire.com/mi/mmmkkk/
      (Last of the Red Hot DJs)
    • Mana Cruising Club
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
        Hi there... have you looked at the egroup site 'junkrig'?

        They do sail, and sail well! Also, refer to 'Voyaging on a Small Income' by
        Annie Hill, publ. Tiller.

        Jeremy Cooper
        Mana, New Zealand
        >Thanks, Vince. I wonder how the junk sails sail? Can they take a stiff
        >breeze?
        >
        >CM
        >
        >http://www.angelfire.com/mi/mmmkkk/
        >(Last of the Red Hot DJs)
        >

        >Bolger rules!!!
        >- no cursing
        >- stay on topic
        >- use punctuation
        >- add some content: send "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.

      • Vince Chew
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
          Cliff,

          I have never sailed on one. All I know is what I have read. A famous
          small boat, JESTER, sailed with a junk rig in the first singlehanded
          transatlantic race in 1960. Since that race, JESTER has made many long
          ocean voyages with the same rig -- including at least 13 transatlantic
          crossings. Another famous solo circumnavigation was made by the boat
          Galway Blazer II with a junk rig.

          They are said not to be as close winded as a modern rig, but, as they
          say, "Gentlemen never sail to weather," anyway. The ease of reefing is
          claimed to make them good heavy weather sails. A lot depends on the
          rest of the boat's characteristics. the sail is only one part of the
          equation.

          Vince