DIY Boat Design

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
      Chuck --

      Did you learn anything from your misadventure?

      I hold what I do for a living in pretty high regard, and am not
      inclined towards underestimating just what it takes to do anything
      professionally. Still, whether it's "written, produced, and directed
      by" or "I designed it and build it myself" the lure of authorship is
      nearly irresistible.

      I've set the Chesapeake sharpie restoration up as an obstacle to any
      new, larger projects. The deal I've made with myself is I can't start
      anything bigger than the Chesapeake until she's on a float, ready to
      hoist sail.

      The idea of the LS2(3) is pretty compelling. A year or so of boat
      building, a few weeks of idyllic family camping; all for only
      $5000-$10000. Stacks up pretty nicely to a Carnival Cruise or all the
      fun the auto makers' adds promise me if I give them the money instead.

      Still, for all my enthusiasm, I am cautious. The BIG BACKYARD BOAT is
      the classic folly, and I am not so over-endowed with either leisure
      or money as to engage in such folly without at least a little
      self-searching and reflection.

      In the meantime, drawing and fantasizing is delicious, far more fun
      than watching TV

      YIBB,

      David

      >Modifying plans is tricky. It is more prudent to find an existing design
      >that suits your needs. I once built a boat that I had designed myself. It
      >was a total disaster - a big waste of time and materials. I am not saying
      >that that will be your fate, but you might take a look at Jim Michalak's
      >Jonsboat:
      >http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun00.htm#JONSBOAT
      >
      >Chuck
      >

      >> I am new to the group and I have never built a boat. I am finding the
      >> emails interesting to say the least. I have owned several
      >> "Tupperware" and metal boats, but I want to build one of my own. I
      >> want a Punt because of the flat bottom and the squared off ends. I
      >> like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt, but I need a larger boat.
      >> Therefore, I am considering the bastardization of a proven design. I
      >> bought the plans from "Dynamite" Payson for the Elegant Punt and I am
      >> playing with the idea of widening the beam from 37" to 46" across the
      >> bottom of the boat and lengthening the overall boat by 48".
      >> Additionally, I will probably leave the line of the shear, straight,
      >> instead of putting in the curve from the plans. I am in no way a
      >> physics or geometry major and it seems like some of you are (or should
      >> be). However, when I have made these changes to the plans and built
      >> them into models, the outcome looks like a boat I would like to fish
      >> out of on the local lakes, here, in Washington state.
      >>
      >> My concern, and or questions are whether or not increasing the width
      >> by @24% and the length by @52% will net a proportionate increase in
      >> the capacity of the boat?
      >>
      >> The displacement, according to the plans is 600 pounds. Therefore,
      >> widening the boat by 24% will increase the capacity to 744 pounds and
      >> lengthening the boat by 52% will increase the capacity to 1131 pounds?
      >>
      >> Right?????????
      >>

      >> Bolger rules!!!
      >> - no cursing
      >> - stay on topic
      >> - use punctuation
      >> - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts
      >> - add some content: send "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
      >>

      >Bolger rules!!!
      >- no cursing
      >- stay on topic
      >- use punctuation
      >- add some content: send "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.

      CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
      134 W.26th St. 12th Floor
      New York, NY 10001
      (212) 243-1636
    • Peter Vanderwaart
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
        > I like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt, but I need a larger
        boat.

        Given the very large number of designs out there for punts of
        different descriptions, why not keep looking. I built an Elegant
        Punt, and I was not especially pleased with it. It is very narrow and
        high-sided, compared with what I was used to in a yacht tender.

        If you need more capacity, have a look at the Brick.

        Peter
      • R Coy
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
          I spent nigh 20 yr in Washington State. Wish I were
          still there.
          Which part do you hail from?
          Roger

          --- pnwtexan@... wrote:

          > I am new to the group and I have never built a boat.
          > I am finding the
          > emails interesting to say the least. I have owned
          > several
          > "Tupperware" and metal boats, but I want to build
          > one of my own. I
          > want a Punt because of the flat bottom and the
          > squared off ends. I
          > like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt, but I need
          > a larger boat.
          > Therefore, I am considering the bastardization of a
          > proven design. I
          > bought the plans from "Dynamite" Payson for the
          > Elegant Punt and I am
          > playing with the idea of widening the beam from 37"
          > to 46" across the
          > bottom of the boat and lengthening the overall boat
          > by 48".
          > Additionally, I will probably leave the line of the
          > shear, straight,
          > instead of putting in the curve from the plans. I
          > am in no way a
          > physics or geometry major and it seems like some of
          > you are (or should
          > be). However, when I have made these changes to the
          > plans and built
          > them into models, the outcome looks like a boat I
          > would like to fish
          > out of on the local lakes, here, in Washington
          > state.
          >
          > My concern, and or questions are whether or not
          > increasing the width
          > by @24% and the length by @52% will net a
          > proportionate increase in
          > the capacity of the boat?
          >
          > The displacement, according to the plans is 600
          > pounds. Therefore,
          > widening the boat by 24% will increase the capacity
          > to 744 pounds and
          > lengthening the boat by 52% will increase the
          > capacity to 1131 pounds?
          >
          > Right?????????

          From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
          http://experts.yahoo.com/
        • Richard Spelling
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
            Put the lines of EP into Carlson's hulls program
            (http://www.carlsondesign.com), stretch it, and check the displacement.

            Richard Spelling, http://www.spellingbusiness.com/boats
            From the muddy waters of Oklahoma

            > I am new to the group and I have never built a boat. I am finding the
            > emails interesting to say the least. I have owned several
            > "Tupperware" and metal boats, but I want to build one of my own. I
            > want a Punt because of the flat bottom and the squared off ends. I
            > like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt, but I need a larger boat.
            > Therefore, I am considering the bastardization of a proven design. I
            > bought the plans from "Dynamite" Payson for the Elegant Punt and I am
            > playing with the idea of widening the beam from 37" to 46" across the
            > bottom of the boat and lengthening the overall boat by 48".
            > Additionally, I will probably leave the line of the shear, straight,
            > instead of putting in the curve from the plans. I am in no way a
            > physics or geometry major and it seems like some of you are (or should
            > be). However, when I have made these changes to the plans and built
            > them into models, the outcome looks like a boat I would like to fish
            > out of on the local lakes, here, in Washington state.
            >
            > My concern, and or questions are whether or not increasing the width
            > by @24% and the length by @52% will net a proportionate increase in
            > the capacity of the boat?
            >
            > The displacement, according to the plans is 600 pounds. Therefore,
            > widening the boat by 24% will increase the capacity to 744 pounds and
            > lengthening the boat by 52% will increase the capacity to 1131 pounds?
            >
            > Right?????????
            >

            > Bolger rules!!!
            > - no cursing
            > - stay on topic
            > - use punctuation

          • R Coy
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
              I'm not sure of your total needs in your boat. B&B
              yachts has a nice design of 9 ft that will hold 4
              adults and some gear. Check it out.
              B&Byat@...
              Roger

              --- Chuck Leinweber <chuck@...>

              From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
              http://experts.yahoo.com/
            • freedem@excite.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                Mr Bolger's designs are very well thought out as boats and also as to
                usage of wood ( Little waste) perhapse if you were to study some
                other designs of Mr Bolger another design might be closer to your
                needs I built a surf and she is still the prettyest small boat to my
                eye
                Jeffery

                --- In bolger@egroups.com, pnwtexan@h... wrote:

                > I am new to the group and I have never built a boat. I am finding
                the
                > emails interesting to say the least. I have owned several
                > "Tupperware" and metal boats, but I want to build one of my own. I
                > want a Punt because of the flat bottom and the squared off ends. I
                > like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt, but I need a larger boat.
                > Therefore, I am considering the bastardization of a proven design.
                > bought the plans from "Dynamite" Payson for the Elegant Punt and I
                am
                > playing with the idea of widening the beam from 37" to 46" across
                the
                > bottom of the boat and lengthening the overall boat by 48".
                > Additionally, I will probably leave the line of the shear, straight,
                > instead of putting in the curve from the plans. I am in no way a
                > physics or geometry major and it seems like some of you are (or
                should
                > be). However, when I have made these changes to the plans and built
                > them into models, the outcome looks like a boat I would like to fish
                > out of on the local lakes, here, in Washington state.
                >
                > My concern, and or questions are whether or not increasing the width
                > by @24% and the length by @52% will net a proportionate increase in
                > the capacity of the boat?
                >
                > The displacement, according to the plans is 600 pounds. Therefore,
                > widening the boat by 24% will increase the capacity to 744 pounds
                and
                > lengthening the boat by 52% will increase the capacity to 1131
                pounds?

                > Rig
              • Chuck Leinweber
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                  Modifying plans is tricky. It is more prudent to find an existing design
                  that suits your needs. I once built a boat that I had designed myself. It
                  was a total disaster - a big waste of time and materials. I am not saying
                  that that will be your fate, but you might take a look at Jim Michalak's
                  Jonsboat:
                  http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun00.htm#JONSBOAT

                  Chuck

                  > I am new to the group and I have never built a boat. I am finding the
                  > emails interesting to say the least. I have owned several
                  > "Tupperware" and metal boats, but I want to build one of my own. I
                  > want a Punt because of the flat bottom and the squared off ends. I
                  > like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt, but I need a larger boat.
                  > Therefore, I am considering the bastardization of a proven design. I
                  > bought the plans from "Dynamite" Payson for the Elegant Punt and I am
                  > playing with the idea of widening the beam from 37" to 46" across the
                  > bottom of the boat and lengthening the overall boat by 48".
                  > Additionally, I will probably leave the line of the shear, straight,
                  > instead of putting in the curve from the plans. I am in no way a
                  > physics or geometry major and it seems like some of you are (or should
                  > be). However, when I have made these changes to the plans and built
                  > them into models, the outcome looks like a boat I would like to fish
                  > out of on the local lakes, here, in Washington state.
                  >
                  > My concern, and or questions are whether or not increasing the width
                  > by @24% and the length by @52% will net a proportionate increase in
                  > the capacity of the boat?
                  >
                  > The displacement, according to the plans is 600 pounds. Therefore,
                  > widening the boat by 24% will increase the capacity to 744 pounds and
                  > lengthening the boat by 52% will increase the capacity to 1131 pounds?
                  >
                  > Right?????????
                  >

                  > Bolger rules!!!
                  > - no cursing
                  > - stay on topic
                  > - use punctuation

                • Jeff Gilbert
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
                    Petes right the Brick is an answer. Another might be a
                    trad dory which with good freeboard can give real volume
                    in a balanced hull buildable without plans. The process was
                    described, complete with photo sequence, in Woodenboat
                    Magazine about 1-2 years ago.
                    Which I guess is a plan anyway!
                    If you (or anyone) are
                    interested in this approach contact me off list and I'll dig
                    up the issue number (non-Bolger = off list)
                    Also if the punts so narrow you may as well get a nice looking,
                    faster punt with a sharp end ie a pirouge!
                    Jeff Gilbert
                    jgilbert@...
                    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/designs.htm

                    ----- Original Messages -----
                    Subject: [bolger] Re: Computing Displacement

                    1>>>> I like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt,
                    but I need a larger boat.
                    2>>>>>>>> (PW)
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
                      > Chuck --
                      >
                      > Did you learn anything from your misadventure?
                      > <snip>
                      > David

                      David:

                      One thing I learned is to do your gambling on a small boat. My disaster was
                      small and not too expensive. You are right though, about the siren-like
                      lure of the designer/builder label. I still think about it, and might even
                      try it again, someday. This time I will have the experience of the one
                      failure, and a lot more general knowledge about boats.

                      Good luck on the Chesapeake sharpie.

                      Chuck