Computing Displacement

  • pnwtexan@home.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2000
      I am new to the group and I have never built a boat. I am finding the
      emails interesting to say the least. I have owned several
      "Tupperware" and metal boats, but I want to build one of my own. I
      want a Punt because of the flat bottom and the squared off ends. I
      like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt, but I need a larger boat.
      Therefore, I am considering the bastardization of a proven design. I
      bought the plans from "Dynamite" Payson for the Elegant Punt and I am
      playing with the idea of widening the beam from 37" to 46" across the
      bottom of the boat and lengthening the overall boat by 48".
      Additionally, I will probably leave the line of the shear, straight,
      instead of putting in the curve from the plans. I am in no way a
      physics or geometry major and it seems like some of you are (or should
      be). However, when I have made these changes to the plans and built
      them into models, the outcome looks like a boat I would like to fish
      out of on the local lakes, here, in Washington state.

      My concern, and or questions are whether or not increasing the width
      by @24% and the length by @52% will net a proportionate increase in
      the capacity of the boat?

      The displacement, according to the plans is 600 pounds. Therefore,
      widening the boat by 24% will increase the capacity to 744 pounds and
      lengthening the boat by 52% will increase the capacity to 1131 pounds?

      Right?????????
    • Derek Waters
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 31, 2000
        No math god either, I'm finding hull design increasingly fascinating -
        definitely one of those situations where the more you learn , the more there
        is to learn :) There are some great freeware/shareware software packages out
        there for doing the 'grunt work' calculation in basic hull design. My
        current favourite is Gregg Carlson's Chine Hull Designer (available in the
        Vault). Ten minutes typing the values from your re-design into the program
        and you can see visually the results of the changes.

        At the risk of teaching my grandmother to suck eggs; a couple of words of
        caution - when you modify a hull design by differing proportions (as opposed
        to simply scaling all the dimensions up or down by a uniform percentage) the
        resultant hull will not behave in the same way as the original. The 600lb
        quoted is of course a maximum load, and not the displacement at the
        waterline shown on the plans.

        See http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/redesign.htm#start :)

        Cheers
        Derek
      • David Ryan
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
          Chuck --

          Did you learn anything from your misadventure?

          I hold what I do for a living in pretty high regard, and am not
          inclined towards underestimating just what it takes to do anything
          professionally. Still, whether it's "written, produced, and directed
          by" or "I designed it and build it myself" the lure of authorship is
          nearly irresistible.

          I've set the Chesapeake sharpie restoration up as an obstacle to any
          new, larger projects. The deal I've made with myself is I can't start
          anything bigger than the Chesapeake until she's on a float, ready to
          hoist sail.

          The idea of the LS2(3) is pretty compelling. A year or so of boat
          building, a few weeks of idyllic family camping; all for only
          $5000-$10000. Stacks up pretty nicely to a Carnival Cruise or all the
          fun the auto makers' adds promise me if I give them the money instead.

          Still, for all my enthusiasm, I am cautious. The BIG BACKYARD BOAT is
          the classic folly, and I am not so over-endowed with either leisure
          or money as to engage in such folly without at least a little
          self-searching and reflection.

          In the meantime, drawing and fantasizing is delicious, far more fun
          than watching TV

          YIBB,

          David

          >Modifying plans is tricky. It is more prudent to find an existing design
          >that suits your needs. I once built a boat that I had designed myself. It
          >was a total disaster - a big waste of time and materials. I am not saying
          >that that will be your fate, but you might take a look at Jim Michalak's
          >Jonsboat:
          >http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun00.htm#JONSBOAT
          >
          >Chuck
          >

          >> I am new to the group and I have never built a boat. I am finding the
          >> emails interesting to say the least. I have owned several
          >> "Tupperware" and metal boats, but I want to build one of my own. I
          >> want a Punt because of the flat bottom and the squared off ends. I
          >> like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt, but I need a larger boat.
          >> Therefore, I am considering the bastardization of a proven design. I
          >> bought the plans from "Dynamite" Payson for the Elegant Punt and I am
          >> playing with the idea of widening the beam from 37" to 46" across the
          >> bottom of the boat and lengthening the overall boat by 48".
          >> Additionally, I will probably leave the line of the shear, straight,
          >> instead of putting in the curve from the plans. I am in no way a
          >> physics or geometry major and it seems like some of you are (or should
          >> be). However, when I have made these changes to the plans and built
          >> them into models, the outcome looks like a boat I would like to fish
          >> out of on the local lakes, here, in Washington state.
          >>
          >> My concern, and or questions are whether or not increasing the width
          >> by @24% and the length by @52% will net a proportionate increase in
          >> the capacity of the boat?
          >>
          >> The displacement, according to the plans is 600 pounds. Therefore,
          >> widening the boat by 24% will increase the capacity to 744 pounds and
          >> lengthening the boat by 52% will increase the capacity to 1131 pounds?
          >>
          >> Right?????????
          >>

          >> Bolger rules!!!
          >> - no cursing
          >> - stay on topic
          >> - use punctuation
          >> - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts
          >> - add some content: send "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
          >>

          >Bolger rules!!!
          >- no cursing
          >- stay on topic
          >- use punctuation
          >- add some content: send "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.

          CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
          134 W.26th St. 12th Floor
          New York, NY 10001
          (212) 243-1636
        • Peter Vanderwaart
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
            > I like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt, but I need a larger
            boat.

            Given the very large number of designs out there for punts of
            different descriptions, why not keep looking. I built an Elegant
            Punt, and I was not especially pleased with it. It is very narrow and
            high-sided, compared with what I was used to in a yacht tender.

            If you need more capacity, have a look at the Brick.

            Peter
          • R Coy
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
              I spent nigh 20 yr in Washington State. Wish I were
              still there.
              Which part do you hail from?
              Roger

              --- pnwtexan@... wrote:

              > I am new to the group and I have never built a boat.
              > I am finding the
              > emails interesting to say the least. I have owned
              > several
              > "Tupperware" and metal boats, but I want to build
              > one of my own. I
              > want a Punt because of the flat bottom and the
              > squared off ends. I
              > like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt, but I need
              > a larger boat.
              > Therefore, I am considering the bastardization of a
              > proven design. I
              > bought the plans from "Dynamite" Payson for the
              > Elegant Punt and I am
              > playing with the idea of widening the beam from 37"
              > to 46" across the
              > bottom of the boat and lengthening the overall boat
              > by 48".
              > Additionally, I will probably leave the line of the
              > shear, straight,
              > instead of putting in the curve from the plans. I
              > am in no way a
              > physics or geometry major and it seems like some of
              > you are (or should
              > be). However, when I have made these changes to the
              > plans and built
              > them into models, the outcome looks like a boat I
              > would like to fish
              > out of on the local lakes, here, in Washington
              > state.
              >
              > My concern, and or questions are whether or not
              > increasing the width
              > by @24% and the length by @52% will net a
              > proportionate increase in
              > the capacity of the boat?
              >
              > The displacement, according to the plans is 600
              > pounds. Therefore,
              > widening the boat by 24% will increase the capacity
              > to 744 pounds and
              > lengthening the boat by 52% will increase the
              > capacity to 1131 pounds?
              >
              > Right?????????

              From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
              http://experts.yahoo.com/
            • Richard Spelling
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                Put the lines of EP into Carlson's hulls program
                (http://www.carlsondesign.com), stretch it, and check the displacement.

                Richard Spelling, http://www.spellingbusiness.com/boats
                From the muddy waters of Oklahoma

                > I am new to the group and I have never built a boat. I am finding the
                > emails interesting to say the least. I have owned several
                > "Tupperware" and metal boats, but I want to build one of my own. I
                > want a Punt because of the flat bottom and the squared off ends. I
                > like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt, but I need a larger boat.
                > Therefore, I am considering the bastardization of a proven design. I
                > bought the plans from "Dynamite" Payson for the Elegant Punt and I am
                > playing with the idea of widening the beam from 37" to 46" across the
                > bottom of the boat and lengthening the overall boat by 48".
                > Additionally, I will probably leave the line of the shear, straight,
                > instead of putting in the curve from the plans. I am in no way a
                > physics or geometry major and it seems like some of you are (or should
                > be). However, when I have made these changes to the plans and built
                > them into models, the outcome looks like a boat I would like to fish
                > out of on the local lakes, here, in Washington state.
                >
                > My concern, and or questions are whether or not increasing the width
                > by @24% and the length by @52% will net a proportionate increase in
                > the capacity of the boat?
                >
                > The displacement, according to the plans is 600 pounds. Therefore,
                > widening the boat by 24% will increase the capacity to 744 pounds and
                > lengthening the boat by 52% will increase the capacity to 1131 pounds?
                >
                > Right?????????
                >

                > Bolger rules!!!
                > - no cursing
                > - stay on topic
                > - use punctuation

              • R Coy
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                  I'm not sure of your total needs in your boat. B&B
                  yachts has a nice design of 9 ft that will hold 4
                  adults and some gear. Check it out.
                  B&Byat@...
                  Roger

                  --- Chuck Leinweber <chuck@...>

                  From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
                  http://experts.yahoo.com/
                • freedem@excite.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                    Mr Bolger's designs are very well thought out as boats and also as to
                    usage of wood ( Little waste) perhapse if you were to study some
                    other designs of Mr Bolger another design might be closer to your
                    needs I built a surf and she is still the prettyest small boat to my
                    eye
                    Jeffery

                    --- In bolger@egroups.com, pnwtexan@h... wrote:

                    > I am new to the group and I have never built a boat. I am finding
                    the
                    > emails interesting to say the least. I have owned several
                    > "Tupperware" and metal boats, but I want to build one of my own. I
                    > want a Punt because of the flat bottom and the squared off ends. I
                    > like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt, but I need a larger boat.
                    > Therefore, I am considering the bastardization of a proven design.
                    > bought the plans from "Dynamite" Payson for the Elegant Punt and I
                    am
                    > playing with the idea of widening the beam from 37" to 46" across
                    the
                    > bottom of the boat and lengthening the overall boat by 48".
                    > Additionally, I will probably leave the line of the shear, straight,
                    > instead of putting in the curve from the plans. I am in no way a
                    > physics or geometry major and it seems like some of you are (or
                    should
                    > be). However, when I have made these changes to the plans and built
                    > them into models, the outcome looks like a boat I would like to fish
                    > out of on the local lakes, here, in Washington state.
                    >
                    > My concern, and or questions are whether or not increasing the width
                    > by @24% and the length by @52% will net a proportionate increase in
                    > the capacity of the boat?
                    >
                    > The displacement, according to the plans is 600 pounds. Therefore,
                    > widening the boat by 24% will increase the capacity to 744 pounds
                    and
                    > lengthening the boat by 52% will increase the capacity to 1131
                    pounds?

                    > Rig
                  • Chuck Leinweber
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                      Modifying plans is tricky. It is more prudent to find an existing design
                      that suits your needs. I once built a boat that I had designed myself. It
                      was a total disaster - a big waste of time and materials. I am not saying
                      that that will be your fate, but you might take a look at Jim Michalak's
                      Jonsboat:
                      http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun00.htm#JONSBOAT

                      Chuck

                      > I am new to the group and I have never built a boat. I am finding the
                      > emails interesting to say the least. I have owned several
                      > "Tupperware" and metal boats, but I want to build one of my own. I
                      > want a Punt because of the flat bottom and the squared off ends. I
                      > like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt, but I need a larger boat.
                      > Therefore, I am considering the bastardization of a proven design. I
                      > bought the plans from "Dynamite" Payson for the Elegant Punt and I am
                      > playing with the idea of widening the beam from 37" to 46" across the
                      > bottom of the boat and lengthening the overall boat by 48".
                      > Additionally, I will probably leave the line of the shear, straight,
                      > instead of putting in the curve from the plans. I am in no way a
                      > physics or geometry major and it seems like some of you are (or should
                      > be). However, when I have made these changes to the plans and built
                      > them into models, the outcome looks like a boat I would like to fish
                      > out of on the local lakes, here, in Washington state.
                      >
                      > My concern, and or questions are whether or not increasing the width
                      > by @24% and the length by @52% will net a proportionate increase in
                      > the capacity of the boat?
                      >
                      > The displacement, according to the plans is 600 pounds. Therefore,
                      > widening the boat by 24% will increase the capacity to 744 pounds and
                      > lengthening the boat by 52% will increase the capacity to 1131 pounds?
                      >
                      > Right?????????
                      >

                      > Bolger rules!!!
                      > - no cursing
                      > - stay on topic
                      > - use punctuation

                    • Jeff Gilbert
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
                        Petes right the Brick is an answer. Another might be a
                        trad dory which with good freeboard can give real volume
                        in a balanced hull buildable without plans. The process was
                        described, complete with photo sequence, in Woodenboat
                        Magazine about 1-2 years ago.
                        Which I guess is a plan anyway!
                        If you (or anyone) are
                        interested in this approach contact me off list and I'll dig
                        up the issue number (non-Bolger = off list)
                        Also if the punts so narrow you may as well get a nice looking,
                        faster punt with a sharp end ie a pirouge!
                        Jeff Gilbert
                        jgilbert@...
                        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/designs.htm

                        ----- Original Messages -----
                        Subject: [bolger] Re: Computing Displacement

                        1>>>> I like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt,
                        but I need a larger boat.
                        2>>>>>>>> (PW)
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
                          > Chuck --
                          >
                          > Did you learn anything from your misadventure?
                          > <snip>
                          > David

                          David:

                          One thing I learned is to do your gambling on a small boat. My disaster was
                          small and not too expensive. You are right though, about the siren-like
                          lure of the designer/builder label. I still think about it, and might even
                          try it again, someday. This time I will have the experience of the one
                          failure, and a lot more general knowledge about boats.

                          Good luck on the Chesapeake sharpie.

                          Chuck