[bolger] Re: sneakbox impressions

  • bradford@dynasty.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
      I cannot imagine any financial reward in building a boat. I'd love to
      hear about your boat though. I've just got a thing for long, skinny
      boats. I'm itching for a new project. I saw a Tennessee in a photo a
      few years back and fell hard. I assumed that Idaho was simply an
      enlarged version, but apparently I'm mistaken there.

      <007501beddb6$06c961c0$4d0247c-@duckworks> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=74
      > Joe:
      >
      > When I first bought the plans for the Tennessee that I built, I asked
      > Bernie about an inboard for that boat. He thought that the boat was
      too
      > quick and dirty to stand the investment of an inboard, but I still
      think it
      > would be fun. I, personally don't build boats for financial
      considerations

      > Chuck
      >

      > > I saw the Sneakbox on the Carlson Designs web page. Such a unique
      and
      > > charming boat. I've heard it's similar to the Tennessee and Idaho,
      is
      > that
      > > correct?
      > >
      > > What is the beam of the Sneakbox? The narrowness of these things
      is just
      > > shocking, but I suppose if you widen it 8"-12" you'd really
      compromise the
      > > efficiency of the design.
      > >
      > > What is your reaction to building the Idaho with a full skeg and
      amidships
      > > inboard? I'm studying a 1200cc Subaru conversion, prop limited to
      about
      > 35
      > > hp. Very light (230# all up) and compact. If space is not
      prohibitive in
      > > that skinny hull I'd like to use a 27 hp Universal diesel (under
      350#
      > > rigged. Imagine the range you would have!
      > >
      > > Say, Gregg, could you cut a set of patterns for a guy?

    • G Carlson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
        It seems like I got 16 mph on my original Mariner 15, so I was hoping for
        25+ on my present Evinrude 25. With nothing in the boat but me, I can just
        get 22 on a good day with a light ripple on the water. Perfectly flat
        water is slower - 20-21. It suprised me that the speed potential was the
        same for either prop - maybe I need to split the difference, as I think the
        high-pitch prop is slightly lugging the rpm. I don't suspect I'm getting a
        good 25 either - what I may need is 35-40 horsepower where I can cruise at
        less than full throttle.

        Yes, our channel is the Kerr-Mclellan, which is the Verdigris River up here
        in Tulsa, OK, flowing to the Arkansas River down in Muskogee. We took our
        freedom down the river to the Mississippi and on down to new Orleans a
        couple of years ago. About 1000 miles.

        Gregg