Impressionist boats

  • Matthew Long
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2000
      [This message didn't come through on the digest, so here it is again
      without links.]

      Continuing the French theme of St. Valéry...

      Stuart Wier, of "Great Encouragement for Boatwrights" and "The Boats of
      Swallows and Amazons" fame, asked me to do a little digging on a type of
      pirogue seen in French Impressionist painter Gustave Caillebotte's
      works. (Caillebotte was himself a boat designer.) Here is what I sent
      him...there are some neat boats in there if you dig around a bit.

      <begin quote>

      I did a little digging for you on the French Yahoo!
      <http://www.yahoo.fr> and found SEQUANA
      <http://perso.club-internet.fr/jdutert/sequana/index.htm>, a club
      dedicated to preserving boating heritage of the Seine as immortalised by
      the Impressionists. Follow the link at the top for the English
      version. They have a couple of boats designed by Caillebotte himself,
      and a couple of périssoires, including the ones illustrated here
      <http://perso.club-internet.fr/jdutert/sequana/flotte/s_flotte_canoes.html#rastaquouere>
      and here
      <http://perso.club-internet.fr/jdutert/sequana/flotte/s_flotte_canoes.html#adieuvat>.
      I am sure that they would be able to steer you in the right direction
      for plans.

      <end quote>

      Bon appétit!

      Matthew

      --
      Matthew Long, Agnès Peillet & Fletcher Shane Peillet-Long
      Saint-Priest, France