Micro keel

  • donhreed@mlc.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
      Hello list,
      New member here. ...been reading and thoroughly enjoying...
      Building a Micro...single-handed...she's 80% built about now, she's
      on her feet and needing a keel. Tried the 55 gal drum cut in two
      w/charcoal. Not hot enough to melt 10 lbs. Hah, talked myself into
      buying a Turkey-Fryer (170,000 btu) propane/outdoor stove. This
      weekend should do one of two things-:
      Fry a turkey, or
      melt 420# of lead.

      Later & Happy Halloween,

      Don Reed
      N38 34.4 -- W90 16.1
    • Paul A. Lefebvre, Jr.
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
        Hey Don,
        I'm about to send in my check and start my Micro - let us know how the
        turkey fryer works, the only aspect of this project that I find somewhat
        intimidating is the keel pouring!

        Now let me check out this handy-dandy internet 'latitude/longitude finder' I
        just searched up - are you in St. Louis, in the vicinity of S. Grand Blvd?

        Paul Lefebvre

        New member here. ...been reading and thoroughly enjoying...
        Building a Micro...single-handed...she's 80% built about now, she's
        on her feet and needing a keel. Tried the 55 gal drum cut in two
        w/charcoal. Not hot enough to melt 10 lbs. Hah, talked myself into
        buying a Turkey-Fryer (170,000 btu) propane/outdoor stove. This
        weekend should do one of two things-:
        Fry a turkey, or
        melt 420# of lead.

        Later & Happy Halloween,

        Don Reed
        N38 34.4 -- W90 16.1

        Bolger rules!!!
        - no cursing
        - stay on topic
        - use punctuation
        - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts
        - add some content: send "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
      • peter lenihan
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2000
          To Don and Paul,
          The keel on the Micro really is not that difficult.Also,there
          are many ways to do one.Click
          here:http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/articles/micro/index.htm to see
          how I did mine and perhaps pick up some ideas for your own particular
          situation.I would be glad to answer any questions you may have about
          the MICRO,"the cutest little yacht in any harbour"!
          Sincerely,
          Peter Lenihan,rooting around like a pig on speed,since he put his
          MICRO to bed for the winter,on the not yet frozen but always polluted
          shores of the St.Lawrence..........

        • donhreed@mlc.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2000
            Paul,
            Send your money in for the Micro plans...Yes...St. Louis, S. Grand
            area...Near Carondolet Park. Nice job!

            I'm not frightened by the melting or the pouring...frustrated is more
            the word. Four bags of charcoal @ 25 deg. each brickette...still
            could not heat hot enough to melt 20#. Used the Turkey-fryer
            @170,000 BTU...more frustration. 1.5" x 7" opening in my mold
            clogged up. Molten lead splashed and hardened immediately--blocking
            feeder hole. Maddeningly, I laid the mold flat, removed all the
            screws, began ladeling in hot lead. Guess what, without a Bessimer
            Blast furnace, it's done one pot/tincan-full at a time!! What you
            wind up with is a lead Baklava. (Multi-layers)

            I now have a layered keel...not a solid one, as I'm sure the designer
            intended. Although it may have many layers, the lead plys lay in the
            correct direction; and, it's just as heavy. I'm not giving up on
            this...Once this monstrocity is placed beneath the hull, slathered in
            epoxy and sandwiched with plywood, then nailed with SB ring-shank
            nails...gawd, it's ugly!

            #1. You'll need a blast-furnace or lots of friends with turkey
            fryers to keep a lot of lead molten. (1200 deg. F.)
            #2. Don't do it outdoors or the lead with solidify pretty darn quick
            and with not stay liquid long enough to fill in the nooks and crannys
            of your mold.
            #3. If indoors--ventilate!!
            #4. Save a lot of time and energy--have a foundry do it!

            Don Reed
            --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Paul A. Lefebvre, Jr." <paul@w...> wrote:
            > Hey Don,
            > I'm about to send in my check and start my Micro - let us
            know how the
            > turkey fryer works, the only aspect of this project that I find
            somewhat
            > intimidating is the keel pouring!
            >
            > Now let me check out this handy-dandy internet 'latitude/longitude
            finder' I
            > just searched up - are you in St. Louis, in the vicinity of S.
            Grand Blvd?

            > Paul Lefebvre

          • Paul A. Lefebvre, Jr.
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2000
              Thanks, Don....... So is your 'baklava' keel going to work out, with the
              epoxy 'syrup' poured over it? I'd love to pour my own keel, I'm kind of a
              compulsive do-it-yourselfer; but I worry about the fumes, etc...... I've got
              an electrician friend who has a plumber's burner designed to melt lead, so I
              would just need to buy a lot of gas..... but it still intimates me some.
              Dave Jost posted the name of the foundry he got his Micro keel poured at,
              it's very close by, and the price wasn't too bad, so that may be the one
              aspect of my micro that I hire out..... we'll see how the winter progresses.
              At this point the whole project still only exists in my head, but I think
              once I have all these pesky 'how-to' details ironed out in my head I'll be
              diving in pretty quick.

              Peter, you did a deadwood keel, with the lead through-bolted rather than the
              hollow plywood box keel section...... I remember a long time about you
              saying something about having had to compensate for the flotation added by
              this extra wood versus the would-be free-flooding hollow keel. So your lead
              must be heavier overall to compensate for the extra flotation of the
              timbers, and wider since there isn't 1/4" of plywood sandwiched around it,
              correct? I'd be interested in knowing how you calculated the weight
              compensation, fore-aft distribution, etc. around those notches to fit the
              deadwood - would you be willing to share your alternate keel pattern, info
              on the barrier coat used, structural considerations to receive the bolts,
              etc? Whether or not I cast my own keel, I will probably want to go with the
              more stout timber keel for many of the same reasons you once mentioned in
              this forum. Also, aside from building it for its own sake, the Micro is
              practice for eventually building a much larger liveaboard boat (hopefully!
              Otherwise I'll at least have a Micro to cruise around in!) which will also
              probably have a laminated deadwood keel, so I may as well learn how on a
              much smaller scale. I've built 4 strip canoes and kayaks, so while I'm
              confident I can build a keeled plywood boat, it is still new territory for
              me. Your pictures on Duckworks are excellent, by the way! Thanks for taking
              the time to put that story together for us.

              I just ordered '103 rigs' yesterday; I understand the Micro plans now come
              with the Navigator upgrade so I'm considering the Navigator 'chinese gaff'
              sail, though I'll stick with the standard cuddy. I've long been a junkie in
              my boat fantasies and subscribe to the junk rig list as well as this one, so
              I'd like to try out that rig on the Micro with an eye toward gaining
              experience with the rig for my big dream boat. But since I plan to trailer
              my micro, this may determine which rig I ultimately use; if the gaffer looks
              too complicated to set up and take down each time, I'll go with the standard
              rig for simplicity. I know I'll go out more often if I don't have to spend
              too long at the ramp swatting mosquitoes while I rig the boat. Of course if
              the mast is shorter on the gaffer (which PCB alludes to in the MAIB
              article), it might make for easier trailering. Hell, maybe I can even leave
              the mast up with the sail furled on deck if I'm just running back and forth
              to the ramp down the street! I'll have to check the powerlines enroute, but
              I've seen some awfully big trucks make it down my street.

              Does anyone know if PCB offers Long Micro plans with the chinese gaff rig? I
              guess with the book in hand I could probably figure it out for myself,
              knowing that rig already has his blessings for this boat, but it'd be nice
              if it came in the plans! Only reason I haven't sent in my check yet is cuz I
              still may go for the Long.........

              Thanks, all, for sharing your Micro expertise! You've kept my enthusiasm
              high, and I'm hoping to join the fraternity very soon.....

              Paul Lefebvre
              looking for something productive to do through a long Cape Cod winter.....
            • Peter Vanderwaart
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2000
                > clogged up. Molten lead splashed and hardened immediately--
                blocking
                > feeder hole.

                Up to now, all the stories I have read about pouring keels include
                the part where the hero takes a propane torch and heats the outlet
                pipe to re-melt the plug that forms there.

                I don't think that the Micro design relies on any strength from the
                lead keel. If you get the keel properly built around the lead, you
                should be fine.

                Peter
              • Don H. Reed
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2000
                  Pheww!!!!
                  Gosh, Peter, thanks for saying that...That's a shot in the arm. 'Cause I
                  was beginning to worry. I thought I could sneak by and build around my
                  keel-mess...you've pretty much confirmed my thoughts on the subject. Point
                  is--to be out on the blue enjoying rather than wringing my hands in worry
                  about "keel envy", or worse, keel fall off. Yikes!

                  Even if it does, (fall off), @ $0.15 per lbs. for scrap lead...it'll be back
                  to the drawing board for sure. Now that's an Idea! Why hasn't one of the
                  faithful gone into the mass produced, Micro-keel business? [It's a
                  rhetorical question] ;-)

                  Thanks for the help.

                  Don

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2000
                    I hope so, Paul. By the time I nail that puppy with ring-shanks, she should
                    hold together. I originally planned for one inch nails...now the plan is
                    1.5" ...I'm staying rigidly flexible.

                    Don

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2000
                      At least one Micro builder subcontracted the lead ballast to a
                      professional.

                      Another did some research with the people who provide lead shielding
                      for dentists offices, hospitals and other places who use x-rays. The
                      were willing to pour a slab of the desired thickness out of which the
                      desired shape could be cut. They would buy back the excess lead.

                      So, there are many ways to ballast a cat-yawl.

                      PHV

                      --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Don H. Reed" <donhreed@m...> wrote:
                      > Pheww!!!!
                      > Gosh, Peter, thanks for saying that...That's a shot in the
                      arm. 'Cause I
                      > was beginning to worry. I thought I could sneak by and build
                      around my
                      > keel-mess...you've pretty much confirmed my thoughts on the
                      subject. Point
                      > is--to be out on the blue enjoying rather than wringing my hands in
                      worry
                      > about "keel envy", or worse, keel fall off. Yikes!
                      >
                      > Even if it does, (fall off), @ $0.15 per lbs. for scrap
                      lead...it'll be back
                      > to the drawing board for sure. Now that's an Idea! Why hasn't one
                      of the
                      > faithful gone into the mass produced, Micro-keel business? [It's a
                      > rhetorical question] ;-)
                      >
                      > Thanks for the help.
                      >
                      > Don

                    • Jim Goeckermann
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 1, 2000
                        The list has cycled through keel casting before, but since there are some new
                        builders it might be worth repeating the following:
                        Lead can be melted on the kitchen stove (not suggested) or its equivalent - it
                        only takes around 750 degrees F. The fumes are toxic, and the arsenic usually
                        found in the melt is a concern. Normal free-flowing ventilation will take care
                        of this.
                        Any (Really, ANY - even a teaspoon!) water can be disasterous. A dripping tin
                        roof, a dipper with a few drops of water, or wet wheelweights added to the melt
                        can blow the melt right out of the pot and all over you. Thick gloves, good
                        boots, layered (non-synthetic) clothing is called for. Eye protection is a must.

                        BUT, it is really not that hard to do, and the lead can be sawed (even planed)
                        once cast, and since the Micro puts it all in a box, it is OK to have a flawed
                        casting. A half a dozen borrowed Coleman stoves and a few garage sale cast iron
                        pots will get you in the backyard foundary business. Anyone who has never
                        skimmed pieces of steel that are floating on a shiny pool of lead is missing a
                        thrill. Furthermore, you may know an expert - any friends who cast bullets or
                        fishing weights? Drift boat anchors?
                        If the lead is really that much of a block to your building, think about a steel
                        piece from a metal salvage yard. They are reasonable, sell by the pound, and
                        will cut to order.
                        Lastly,( though I have cast a lot of lead - but never a keel) consider doing
                        your cast into a 3 sided box. If it is level, you don't need a top! Disclaimer
                        - I haven't done it, but I know that the lead finds level all by itself.
                        Jim