Quick Update: Micro in Northern California

  • Glen Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2000
      It's been a while since I'm conversed on the list (new job taking up lots of
      time), but I wanted to drop a quick line to update others on my Micro,
      tentatively named "Full House".

      Started construction in April, on the masts and booms. Currently, the hull
      is nearing completion, and we turned it over a couple of weeks ago. Outside
      is sheethed with 3.25oz fine weave cloth in epoxy (both from RAKA, recommed
      the fine cloth and epoxy, both have been great). Construction is of 3/8's
      BS1088 Gaboon plywood (yes, it's expensive, but I've never worked with such
      wonderful plywood before, it's truely beautiful) and clear fir. I'm sure
      I've cut a couple of hundred feet of this plywood, and have yet to find even
      the smallest void. I modified the construction somewhat, going with some
      "stitch and glue" construction in certain places, and a double bottom (yes,
      that's 3/4 inch).

      Right now, working on putting the bunks in, then it's on with the cabin top,
      the deck, and 101 details (plus the lead keel, which my brother has
      volunteered to cast). Shooting for an end of the year launch, but with the
      weather getting cooler (I can hardly call a north CA winter COLD) it's
      getting less and less interesting to work out in the garage after the kids
      are in bed at night.

      Hope to get some pictures up on my brothers web site in the next month or
      so.

      Happy building,

      Glen

      Glen Gibson