Physics?

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 37 , Oct 30, 2000
      FBBB --

      It's been 12 years since I cracked a physical text book (my degree is
      in fine art, go figure.)

      Anyone care to check me on this:

      A 30 foot beam that weighs 30 pounds per foot is balanced on a
      fulcrum 3 feet from one end (and 27 feet from the other.)

      By my (suspect) calculations, there is a torque of 10935 foot-pounds
      on one side, and 135 foot-pounds on the other.

      Further (dubious) arithmetic says that if I apply 3600 pounds of
      force directly on the end of the short side, the beam will be
      balanced.

      Anyone wanna check my math?

      YIBB,

      David

      CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
      134 W.26th St. 12th Floor
      New York, NY 10001
      (212) 243-1636
    • Jeff Gilbert
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 4, 2000
        Bravo Jim Pope.
        My vote for the worlds best sub 40ft cruising monohull,
        the Roger Martin designed Grey Wolf, holds a ton of water
        in a tank just under the side-deck. Pumps it across to
        a mirror tank when tacking. Sails flatter, and if racing the football
        team on the rail can go below or home.This arrangement does take
        72 cubic feet out of the boat, but the football teams bigger!
        And half is a bouyancy tank
        Jeff Gilbert.