Re: [bolger] Mainsheet traveller on MJ

  • hwal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2000
      In a message dated 10/28/2000 10:28:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      seabird@... writes:

      << It has been suggested that I should try a traveller on the mainsheet
      of my "Martha Jane" . Has anyone any thoughts on this?

      I used to think about this - thinking that perhaps it would stiffen the rig
      yet more - and maybe it would - tho' I'm not sure. I did ask Mr. B. about
      this once - I was thinking of a boom gallows with a traveler across the top.
      He didn't seem to think it was a bad idea. Since then I have added the boom
      gallows - but the gallows is "demountable" and so I could not attach the
      mainsheet to it. I've only been out twice now since I added the gallows and I
      know it ( if left in place) clears the boom with the sail reefed. Today I
      will be out with full sail and will see how that clears the gallows.

      I have an interest in someday getting the mainsheet out of the cockpit. The
      bridge deck is a great place to sit - but the mainsheet gets in the way. A
      traveller there would be even worse. I suspect that eventually I will rebuild
      the gallows so it is permanant and attach the mainsheet to that.

      I have wondered how those building the high house intend to run the
      mainsheet. They won't be able to run it from the bridge deck because the
      sheet won't clear the side panels that extend back from the cabin. I'm
      guessing that some kind of gallows will be the answer.

      I don't know if I've mentioned to the list yet that Landroval now sports the
      sponsons and the new rudders as well as a gallows and three part purchase on
      the leeboards.

      Steve Anderson ( Landroval)