[bolger] Re: Idaho?

  • bradford@dynasty.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 1999
      Thanks, Don, you ended my search! I also discvered that the beam of
      Idaho is only 63". Limits your interior options, not to mention the
      aesthetics.

      I notice Tennessee carries 72" of beam. What kind power/speed
      properties are expected as she's drawn? What's your goal in the bottom
      mod?

      Joe Bradford
      Henderson, KY

      <007e01bedd25$3b504f80$cbb14d0-@default> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=70
      > I'm not sure whats going on with the "Common Sense" outfit, but last
      time I
      > looked, there was some Idaho material at www.common-sense-boats.com .
      > www.common-sense-designs.com is closed.
      >
      > Don Hodges
      > Lynn Haven, FL
      >
      > (BTW, Gregg, I'm taking another look at Tennesee as a project - do
      you know
      > if the side planks are 3/8? I'm looking into MDO and it doesn't come
      any
      > thinner than 3/8 inch. Also, any thoughts on taking out the rocker
      aft and
      > going to about 25 hp for Tennessee for maybe 15-18 mph?)

    • Donald Hodges
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 1999
        Joe,

        Chuck Leinweber (on this list) has built Tennessee, and may jump in and
        answer some of your questions... (help, Chuck!).

        I only know Tennessee has a bit of rocker toward the stern, and is
        advertised for low-hp (9.9 typically) engines. This makes her pretty much a
        displacement boat with some extra speed potential for being light and
        narrow. That's 7 knots plus the light/narrow factor, I would guess 8.5-9.0
        knots (9.8 - 10.4 mph).

        I have built a few small boats (and bought or studied more than I will
        admit!), and a real planing hull is almost flat to even a bit "hooked" at
        the stern in order to keep them more level and minimize the bow-up plowing
        that precedes rising to plane. Big power boats use hydraulic trim plates to
        hook the bottom going up to plane, then trim toward flat for cruising on
        plane. For a simple boat like Tennessee, flat is probably close enough to
        give her some planing potential if enough power is installed. Rule of thumb
        here is one hp per 50 to 100 lb weight. If we assumed 75 lb/hp for
        Tennessee and 1500 lb, we are at 20 hp just to sustain planing, and probably
        35 hp needed to acheive planing initially. Based on Gregg's experience with
        the Sneakeasy (which is flat) I'm probably still a bit optimistic. BUT, I
        have said I would settle for 11-12 knots (12.6 - 13.8 mph) or so with two
        aboard if not redlining the engine and just plowing along.

        So, I'll just leave the question out here: has anyone clocked a Tennessee
        with 25 hp installed, "stock" or with a flat bottom?

        Don Hodges
        Lynn Haven, FL
        http://www.ecoastlife.com