Whalewatcher

  • C. O'Donnell
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 28, 2000
      http://www.birdingbyboat.org/osp.htm

      California - launch 12/2000. Great graphics!
    • David Ryan
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 28, 2000
        I used to go down to the "hypersaline lagoons" on Winter and Spring
        breaks. They're filled with shellfish, especially scallop. The Osprey
        should have provisions for a scallop dredge! ;-)

        YIBB,

        >http://www.birdingbyboat.org/osp.htm
        >
        >California - launch 12/2000. Great graphics!
        >

        >Bolger rules!!!
        >- no cursing
        >- stay on topic
        >- use punctuation
        >- add some content: send "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.

        CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
        134 W.26th St. 12th Floor
        New York, NY 10001
        (212) 243-1636
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 13, 2006
          I took the liberty to scan a recent ad from MAIB and upload it to
          files in:

          This would seem like a huge opportunity to obtain a unique design,
          that has always intrigued me.

          Any suggestions on a reasonable offer? One would have to obtain more
          details on the build of course, but it is mentioned that a
          professional boat builder did it and includes a custom tilting
          trailer valued currently at over $6K for trailer alone and 2.6k for
          the sails.

          Nels
        • donschultz8275
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 14, 2006
            Whalewatcher and this very boat are the subject of one of the essays
            in "Boats with an Open Mind".

            One noteable feature of the design is that in was drawn to accomodate
            6'5"+ crew height.

            Per the essay, the builder/owner who commisioned the design passed
            away with the boat nearly complete.

            I've found some willing to get out from under owning such a boat for
            the value of the trailer, and motor. Others want to be paid for the
            plywood also.

            I would check out this boat carefully just for concern over what may
            have happened during years of storage.
          • Phil Smith
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 14, 2006
              If I could find my notes, I could tell you the Whalewatcher guy's name. He wasn't dead at the beginning of December. We had a nice long chat. He is in poor health. He never completed Whalewatcher and now it has some dry rot in her bottom plywood.

              Something resembling real life interrupted completing Whalewatcher for many years. The exagesis of outrageous fortune kept Whalewatcher from being properly stored which is why she's got dry rot.

              I know that Mr. Whalewatcher monitors the Bolger fora, so he should be here real soon now.

              Phil Smith

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 29, 2007
                http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/1267900446/

                Whalewatcher is one of the few legendary boats in BWAOM, not yet wet.
                (Like Superbrick.) Who among us is going to build one?
              • Robb
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 29, 2007
                  Yes there is at least one built because I've seen pictures of it sailing......Robb

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 29, 2007
                    On 8/29/07, Robb <Robb@...> wrote:

                    > Yes there is at least one built because I've seen pictures of it sailing......Robb

                    Where did you see those photos? I am curious to learn more.

                    This...

                    http://www.adirondackgoodboat.com/usedboats.html

                    ...is the only whalewatcher I have heard of.
                  • Robb
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 29, 2007
                      I've been digging in my history ever since I wrote that message.....I havn't found it yet but I'm still looking.....I may not be able to find it. The website wasn't about the whalewatcher it was about an australian made 12 volt refrigerator believe it or not. They were talking about how well it worked on their whalewatcher and there were several nice pictures of the boat sailing.........Robb

                      > Yes there is at least one built because I've seen pictures of it sailing......Robb

                      Where did you see those photos? I am curious to learn more.

                      This...

                      http://www.adirondackgoodboat.com/usedboats.html

                      ...is the only whalewatcher I have heard of.

                    • Tim Anderson
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 29, 2007
                        I have a mostly completed (no Rig) Whalewatcher for sale for the price of
                        materials $2,800.00 in So. Calif. Tim P Anderson

                        _____

                        http://www.adironda <http://www.adirondackgoodboat.com/usedboats.html>
                        ckgoodboat.com/usedboats.html

                        ...is the only whalewatcher I have heard of.

                      • graeme19121984
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 29, 2007
                          > http://www.adirondackgoodboat.com/usedboats.html
                          > ...is the only whalewatcher I have heard of.

                          Sadly, that Adirondack Goodboats WHALEWATCHER is no more. I hope they
                          do start a brand new one.
                          was advertised for over a year there - #479, #453, & #342.

                          It would be fantastic to see another one!

                          Graeme
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 29, 2007
                            > It would be fantastic to see another one!

                            Well, part of the advantage of creating Free!ship models of Bolger
                            boats is that I can work through the building process of the pieces in
                            my mind. The Whalewatcher design is fundamentally quite simple, and
                            especially with the water ballast, I think it could be very easily
                            built. (At least, in my mind, I can imagine quickly building one.)

                            In short, it offers a lot bang for the buck.

                            http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/1267900446/
                          • dproasit
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
                              Thank you Bruce for the renderings - pretty as a picture - Do you have
                              any info on dimensions/build weights etc. I have posted before asking
                              same qu"s but didn't look like there was much info about
                              Thanks again - Darrell

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 30, 2007
                                On 8/30/07, dproasit <knic0014@...> wrote:

                                > Thank you Bruce for the renderings - pretty as a picture - Do you have
                                > any info on dimensions/build weights etc.

                                29 feet LOA and 6'6" beam.

                                Measurements taken from the model, 4,600 displacement (with a big
                                water tank for ballast.) LWL of 20' 6" and a total sail area of about
                                400SF. My 'guess-ta-mit' of the empty dry trailer weight is about
                                2,700 pounds (based on an assumption of 3 psf on 900 sf of hull
                                structure.)
                              • graeme19121984
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                                  Robb,

                                  any more clues for that search - like what brand fridge (eg weako sp?),
                                  how long ago, & etc?

                                  Graeme

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                                    Hi........I searched for 2 days and couldn't find because my history isn't kept for that long ago. I was reading about it about 3 months ago.......It was a 12 volt fridge called quirk auto fridge........I've done alot of searches and I can't cough up the website...I don't know how I came across it in the first place. It never fails......the websites that you think aren't that important you can't find them again when you need them.....Robb

                                    any more clues for that search - like what brand fridge (eg weako sp?),
                                    how long ago, & etc?

                                    Graeme

                                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

                                    > I've been digging in my history ever since I wrote that message

                                  • m.jayjensen
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 29, 2013
                                      Greetings
                                      There is an indication that the last response did not go out.
                                      I will copy it here:

                                      Susanne,
                                      When the plans were purchased "saving" was not what I had in mind. It is hard for me to believe that there would be so many plans available on an illegitimate web site.
                                      The person I dealt with was Jerry Estes.
                                      His address is: mariner_csb@...
                                      Best wishes,
                                      Jay Jensen

                                      There is an underscore between mariner and csb in the e-mail address.
                                      On a little further thought--- If you will provide me with some kind of documentation of exclusive ownership, I will use it to request that the credit card company transfer the payment to you.
                                      Jay

                                      On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 07:26:06 -0400 <philbolger@...> writes:

                                      Mr. Jensen,
                                      which website sells WHALEWATCHER plans ?
                                      Legitimate plans are only available from us.
                                      ’Saving’ on plans seems bad value
                                      1. - in light of uncertainty whether you get what you need,
                                      2. - in the context of just a fraction of epoxy-cost for such a design,
                                      3. – ‘getting off on the wrong foot’ on a project of such relative ambitions.

                                      Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                                      There is an underscore between mariner and csb in the e-mail address.
                                      On a little further thought--- If you will provide me with some kind of documentation of exclusive ownership, I will use it to request that the credit card company transfer the payment to you.

                                      Jay

                                      Woman is 60 But Looks 25
                                      ConsumerLifestyles.net
                                    • Eric Kramp
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 29, 2013
                                        Would a sworn and notarized statement from Phil Bolger and Friends serve as the "documentation of exclusive ownership"? It is impossible to prove a negative, but Ms. Altenburer to probably provide a document along the following:

                                        "I, Susanne Altenburger provide the following information:

                                        The Whalewatcher (Design Number nnn) Design was created by Phil Bolger and Friends
                                        Mr. Phil Bolger and Friends consisted of Phil Bolger and Myself
                                        Mr. Phil Bolger passed away in May, 2009, leaving me Sole Proprietor, Owner, and Retailer of all designs not licensed to other firms*
                                        The Whalewatcher was never licensed for sale to another firm
                                        Therefore, I maintain sole and exclusive ownership of the design for the Whalewatcher (Design Number nnn) and any company or individual selling these plans is involved in theft of my intellectual property."

                                        * The carve-out is for Dynamite Payson's Instant Boats site.

                                        In Mr. Jenson's case, I don't believe there was intent to go behind anyone, and he appears to trying to make things right with the credit card transfer.

                                        (Long time lurker on this group and longer time admiring of the design and thought process behind the designs)

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 29, 2013
                                          Would a sworn and notarized statement from Phil Bolger and Friends serve as the "documentation of exclusive ownership"? It is impossible to prove a negative, but Ms. Altenburer to probably provide a document along the following:

                                          "I, Susanne Altenburger provide the following information:

                                          The Whalewatcher (Design Number nnn) Design was created by Phil Bolger and Friends
                                          Mr. Phil Bolger and Friends consisted of Phil Bolger and Myself
                                          Mr. Phil Bolger passed away in May, 2009, leaving me Sole Proprietor, Oi can wner, and Retailer of all designs not licensed to other firms*
[...]

                                          New BlackBerry® Z10
                                          Experience a new way to use your smartphone. Purchase yours today.
                                          BlackBerry.com