[bolger] Re: sneakbox impressions

  • bradford@dynasty.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
      Don't rely on me here, but I doubt if a fair bottom will get you near
      30mph. Each successive unit of speed comes dearer than the last; a
      wild guess says your gain will be pretty small (a 50% gain is
      enormous.)

      Is the performance near your expectations, or did you expect 30mph on
      25hp?
      Also, how does she handle at manuevering speeds?

      (Is that the Kerr-cLellan channel you speak of?)

      <3.0.6.32.19990803100542.00880e4-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=75
      > Hi,
      >
      > The Sneakeasy is 4' wide (I think there is another boat by Jim
      Michalak
      > called the Sneakbox), but is very stable. As with all Bolger's square
      > boats, the chine extends out as far as you can stand. Standing on a
      > gunnel, you would have a tough time pushing that chine, 20+ feet of
      it,
      > down very far in the water. Initial stability is very high.
      >
      > I thought a lot about an inboard diesel in the Sneakeasy. I built it
      for
      > the navigation channel, with the first stop at 100 miles. Economy,
      range,
      > and speed with the 2-cycle 25 are just OK. I had 2 props pitched at
      13 and
      > 15 inches (I think): both gave me the same speed - about 20 mph -
      but the
      > flat prop seem to run loud (high rpm) and burned all my gas (20 gal)
      and

    • bradford@dynasty.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
        I cannot imagine any financial reward in building a boat. I'd love to
        hear about your boat though. I've just got a thing for long, skinny
        boats. I'm itching for a new project. I saw a Tennessee in a photo a
        few years back and fell hard. I assumed that Idaho was simply an
        enlarged version, but apparently I'm mistaken there.

        <007501beddb6$06c961c0$4d0247c-@duckworks> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=74
        > Joe:
        >
        > When I first bought the plans for the Tennessee that I built, I asked
        > Bernie about an inboard for that boat. He thought that the boat was
        too
        > quick and dirty to stand the investment of an inboard, but I still
        think it
        > would be fun. I, personally don't build boats for financial
        considerations

        > Chuck
        >

        > > I saw the Sneakbox on the Carlson Designs web page. Such a unique
        and
        > > charming boat. I've heard it's similar to the Tennessee and Idaho,
        is
        > that
        > > correct?
        > >
        > > What is the beam of the Sneakbox? The narrowness of these things
        is just
        > > shocking, but I suppose if you widen it 8"-12" you'd really
        compromise the
        > > efficiency of the design.
        > >
        > > What is your reaction to building the Idaho with a full skeg and
        amidships
        > > inboard? I'm studying a 1200cc Subaru conversion, prop limited to
        about
        > 35
        > > hp. Very light (230# all up) and compact. If space is not
        prohibitive in
        > > that skinny hull I'd like to use a 27 hp Universal diesel (under
        350#
        > > rigged. Imagine the range you would have!
        > >
        > > Say, Gregg, could you cut a set of patterns for a guy?

      • G Carlson
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
          It seems like I got 16 mph on my original Mariner 15, so I was hoping for
          25+ on my present Evinrude 25. With nothing in the boat but me, I can just
          get 22 on a good day with a light ripple on the water. Perfectly flat
          water is slower - 20-21. It suprised me that the speed potential was the
          same for either prop - maybe I need to split the difference, as I think the
          high-pitch prop is slightly lugging the rpm. I don't suspect I'm getting a
          good 25 either - what I may need is 35-40 horsepower where I can cruise at
          less than full throttle.

          Yes, our channel is the Kerr-Mclellan, which is the Verdigris River up here
          in Tulsa, OK, flowing to the Arkansas River down in Muskogee. We took our
          freedom down the river to the Mississippi and on down to new Orleans a
          couple of years ago. About 1000 miles.

          Gregg