Storm Petrel and CSD Pirogue

  • shansen@tiac.net
    Message 1 of 62 , Oct 13, 2000
      I just found this group a couple of days ago. So far I've gone
      through perhaps 40% of the postings.

      What caught my eye was the discussion on the Storm Petrel. I got sort
      of fascinated by the design about 11 or 12 years ago (whenever I got
      hold of the issue of SBJ with the relevant Bolger cartoon). I wrote
      to Phil about the boat and the answer was rather vague about the
      design but he gave the impression that it was probably rather
      mediocre and not worth the effort of building.

      I then went on to build a Shell 14' Swifty (nice boat) and then a CSD
      Pirogue, stretched to about 19 ft. (Bernie Wolfard wrote up the boat
      in one of his last newsletters and there was a one-page article about
      it in an early '80s MAIB). With oars, paddles, or an electric this
      remains our family's favorite boat and we use if frequently on
      streams, Great Bay (NH) and other protected areas. Never did put a
      sail on it (my wife hates things that make boats tip unexpectedly).

      Still sort of like the Storm Petrel idea though and the sedateness
      under sail and the small motor option would probably suit my wife
      just fine.

      Steve Hansen
    • kiwi8971
      Message 62 of 62 , Dec 12, 2010
        Are plans available for the 16' Lateen Rigged Storm Petrel. If so how can I get them and how much are they?