Re: [bolger] Ditty

  • William Samson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2000
      Hi,

      A point of accuracy - When the Jeff Gilbert's ditty
      was recorded for posterity by Flanders and Swan, the
      words were:

      "The British, the British, The British are best,
      I wouldn't give Tuppence for all of the Rest!"

      There's more to Britain than just England - and we
      Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish must accept our share
      of the blame ;)

      Seriously, though, I've never heard the 'penny'
      classification for nails being used on this side of
      the Pond. We simply talk about 6" nails, 4" nails and
      so on. Probably (like many other things - such as
      'Fall' for Autumn)dates back to the time of the
      Pilgrims, and has carried on in US usage while
      disappearing over here. Bill Bryson's "the Mother
      Tongue" is well worth a read if you can get hold of
      it. It's about the various versions of 'English'
      spoken throughout the World - erudite but VERY
      amusing!

      Cheers,

      Bill

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2000
        In a message dated 10/09/2000 4:<BR55:<BR45 AM
        Eastern Daylight , Bill.Samson@... writes:> erudite but VERY
        > amusing!

        Bill,

        Do you mean "erudite AND very amusing"??? I normally wouldn't expect those
        two concepts to be contrasted :-)

        Agreed on that book.

        Cheers/Step