[bolger] Re: sneakbox impressions

  • GHC
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
      Hi,

      The Sneakeasy is 4' wide (I think there is another boat by Jim Michalak
      called the Sneakbox), but is very stable. As with all Bolger's square
      boats, the chine extends out as far as you can stand. Standing on a
      gunnel, you would have a tough time pushing that chine, 20+ feet of it,
      down very far in the water. Initial stability is very high.

      I thought a lot about an inboard diesel in the Sneakeasy. I built it for
      the navigation channel, with the first stop at 100 miles. Economy, range,
      and speed with the 2-cycle 25 are just OK. I had 2 props pitched at 13 and
      15 inches (I think): both gave me the same speed - about 20 mph - but the
      flat prop seem to run loud (high rpm) and burned all my gas (20 gal) and
      the high pitch ran more quiet with about 1/3 less fuel at 100 miles. I
      still want more like 30 mph, so I plan to fair the bottom and maybe add
      horsepower.

      Yes, I can plot patterns.

      Gregg

    • bradford@dynasty.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
        Don't rely on me here, but I doubt if a fair bottom will get you near
        30mph. Each successive unit of speed comes dearer than the last; a
        wild guess says your gain will be pretty small (a 50% gain is
        enormous.)

        Is the performance near your expectations, or did you expect 30mph on
        25hp?
        Also, how does she handle at manuevering speeds?

        (Is that the Kerr-cLellan channel you speak of?)

        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=75

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
          I cannot imagine any financial reward in building a boat. I'd love to
          hear about your boat though. I've just got a thing for long, skinny
          boats. I'm itching for a new project. I saw a Tennessee in a photo a
          few years back and fell hard. I assumed that Idaho was simply an
          enlarged version, but apparently I'm mistaken there.

          <007501beddb6$06c961c0$4d0247c-@duckworks> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=74
          > Joe:
          >
          > When I first bought the plans for the Tennessee that I built, I asked
          > Bernie about an inboard for that boat. He thought that the boat was
          too
          > quick and dirty to stand the investment of an inboard, but I still
          think it
          > would be fun. I, personally don't build boats for financial
          considerations

          > Chuck
          >

          > > I saw the Sneakbox on the Carlson Designs web page. Such a unique
          and
          > > charming boat. I've heard it's similar to the Tennessee and Idaho,
          is
          > that
          > > correct?
          > >
          > > What is the beam of the Sneakbox? The narrowness of these things
          is just
          > > shocking, but I suppose if you widen it 8"-12" you'd really
          compromise the
          > > efficiency of the design.
          > >
          > > What is your reaction to building the Idaho with a full skeg and
          amidships
          > > inboard? I'm studying a 1200cc Subaru conversion, prop limited to
          about
          > 35
          > > hp. Very light (230# all up) and compact. If space is not
          prohibitive in
          > > that skinny hull I'd like to use a 27 hp Universal diesel (under
          350#
          > > rigged. Imagine the range you would have!
          > >
          > > Say, Gregg, could you cut a set of patterns for a guy?

        • G Carlson
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
            It seems like I got 16 mph on my original Mariner 15, so I was hoping for
            25+ on my present Evinrude 25. With nothing in the boat but me, I can just
            get 22 on a good day with a light ripple on the water. Perfectly flat
            water is slower - 20-21. It suprised me that the speed potential was the
            same for either prop - maybe I need to split the difference, as I think the
            high-pitch prop is slightly lugging the rpm. I don't suspect I'm getting a
            good 25 either - what I may need is 35-40 horsepower where I can cruise at
            less than full throttle.

            Yes, our channel is the Kerr-Mclellan, which is the Verdigris River up here
            in Tulsa, OK, flowing to the Arkansas River down in Muskogee. We took our
            freedom down the river to the Mississippi and on down to new Orleans a
            couple of years ago. About 1000 miles.

            Gregg