Re: Tile Board - Epoxy Sticking

  • Ron Magen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2000
      These comments have intrigued me.

      Took a look at the price of 'tile board' at Home Depot today, because I think I already have
      the solution to the problem.

      I've been using epoxy for several years. {my particular 'brand of choice' is RAKA - good
      people, good prices} I have read and experimented a good deal - including application tools.
      One of the most ubiquitous are the polyethylene 'paddles' or spreaders. Although the epoxy
      isn't supposed to adhere to them, or the 'mixing buckets' . . . ". . .just 'pop' it off
      after the epoxy cures . . .", I usually have to roughly scrape it off, or flex the buckets
      so much the lips split. [a number of the Big Boys use METAL buckets so they can BURN them
      out with a torch !!]

      One day, after I ruined the sharp edge of a spreader, an interesting idea occurred to me and
      I called one of the Big Producers to confirm it. The idea was a cheap, easily applied
      coating that would 'release' the cured epoxy WITHOUT contaminating it, or leaving a residue
      that would interfere with adherence of subsequent epoxy layers.

      And the answer is - PASTE WAX !!

      Rub it on, let it dry, and BUFF IT OFF - REALLY WELL. I usually use a couple of coats on
      wood paddles {made from scraps of paneling material. Works on just about everything {I
      haven't tried EVERYTHING yet}, metal & plastic 'putty knives', paddles, spreaders, etc.

      Should work well on the WHITE side of the Tile Board.

      Regards,
      Ron Magen