Re: Need help finding a Bolger design

  • Frank San Miguel
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
      Check out 39' Tahiti. Described in great detail in Messing About in
      Boats. It is a brilliant boat.

      Frank

      --- In bolger@egroups.com, NORDIC37@A... wrote:
      > Does anyone know of a Bolger design that meets the following
      > requirements?
      >
      > I am planning to have a boat built for me. The operative words
      > here are economical (to build, maintain, and run), comfortable
      > (simple but not a hardship to stay 2 weeks on), and safe (the
      > New England waters can be unforgiving). I am looking for a
      > no-frills, diesel, raised pilothouse cruiser with a full
      diplacement
      > hull that will comfortably carry a couple, a 50# dog and an
      > occasional couple of guests. I am assuming the boat will be
      > about 38'-48', and displace well under 30,000# depending on
      > design/layout, etc.
      >
      > The boat will be used for serious coastal
      > cruising, the Great Circle and maybe some blue water (but
      > probably not). I live on the Narragansett, which is often windy and
      > choppy, and I don't need to mention how fickle Buzzard's Bay can
      > be. I am hoping for a hull that will be easily driven to hull speed
      > with a small (30-50 hp) Sabb, China Diesel, or re-built GM. For
      > the sake of building cost and ease of maintenance, I am thinking
      > of glass over plywood and a simple, single chine or flatbottomed
      > hull. A small cockpit would be great to relax in. While aesthetics
      > are fairly low on my list, the boat can't be painful to look at.
      I'm

    • NORDIC37@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
        Thanks Frank. I'll have a look. Is Tahiti a power boat? I'm talking trawler
        here...

        Glen
      • Harry W. James
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
          The Tahiti is very much a power boat. It is designed for long distance cruising
          for two and it is featured in MAIB 17-12,13,14 in detail. Coincidentally I had
          the articles out this morning to look up the engine. I personally believe that I
          could get it in the water, ready to cruise for less than $50,000. Lots of neat
          Bolger ideas.

          I feel sorry for those out of the range of normal postal delivery that can not
          partake of MAIB. Bolger's column is always interesting, but sometime he
          unlimbers one like the Tahiti, that leaves you staring out the window, oblivious
          to family and any other input but your wildly heated imagination.

          After further thought I guess almost all of his articles will fire up the dreams
          of somebody. We all respond to different drums and Bolger has more beats than a
          drum machine.

          HJ

          > Thanks Frank. I'll have a look. Is Tahiti a power boat? I'm talking trawler
          > here...
          >
          > Glen
          >
          > -

          _ _ _ _ _
          % Harry welshman@...
        • NORDIC37@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2000
            Hi HJ:

            I'm really showing my ingnorance here. But, here goes: What's MAIB, and how
            do I get it?

            Glen
          • Thomas Wunderlin
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 3, 2000
              Another boat you should look at is Bolger's Motorsailing Cargo Boat:

              30'x10'x2', 14,800 lbs full load displacement, box-keel, very nice
              wheelhouse, cargo hold could easily be converted into a salon.
              Plywood-epoxy construction. 18+ hp diesel. Gaff cat yawl. You can
              probably skip the rig and put in a bigger engine.

              PCB sent me an article published in Jan/Feb 95 "Boatbuilder" magazine.

              Original boat is currently under construction in Alaska.

              Regards

              Thomas
            • Matthew, Agn├Ęs & Fletcher Peillet-Long
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 7, 2000
                Tom Macnaughton in Maine has a couple of designs that might fit the
                bill, though the two that I am thinking of are both steel.

                His Freighter Houseboat (a concept, not a completed design) is very
                interesting and almost Bolger in its simplicity, though PCB wouldn't
                like the outboard well. Be sure to go on to the second page for the
                interior plan and a nice little essay.

                http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/freighterhb.htm

                His Puffin 36 (a stock design) is a mini-tug stretched to a mini-
                freighter. Very salty, and probably within the budget you describe,
                though certainly not cheap. Maybe you could carry some cargo to pay
                your way? ;-)

                http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/puffin.htm

                Neat stuff!

                Matthew

                --- In bolger@egroups.com, NORDIC37@A... wrote:
                > Does anyone know of a Bolger design that meets the following
                > requirements?
                >
                > I am planning to have a boat built for me. The operative words
                > here are economical (to build, maintain, and run), comfortable
                > (simple but not a hardship to stay 2 weeks on), and safe (the
                > New England waters can be unforgiving). I am looking for a
                > no-frills, diesel, raised pilothouse cruiser with a full diplacement
                > hull that will comfortably carry a couple, a 50# dog and an
                > occasional couple of guests. I am assuming the boat will be
                > about 38'-48', and displace well under 30,000# depending on
                > design/layout, etc.
                >
                > The boat will be used for serious coastal
                > cruising, the Great Circle and maybe some blue water (but
                > probably not). I live on the Narragansett, which is often windy and
                > choppy, and I don't need to mention how fickle Buzzard's Bay can
                > be. I am hoping for a hull that will be easily driven to hull speed
                > with a small (30-50 hp) Sabb, China Diesel, or re-built GM. For
                > the sake of building cost and ease of maintenance, I am thinking
                > of glass over plywood and a simple, single chine or flatbottomed
                > hull. A small cockpit would be great to relax in. While aesthetics
                > are fairly low on my list, the boat can't be painful to look at. I'm
                > hoping to have the boat built, cruise-ready (less electronics,
                > safety gear, and nice touches) for about $50k. I will probably try to
                > source some of the systems (engine, electronics, etc.) myself
                > used in order to fit the budget. So we're talking Spartan here.
                >
                > I am considering George Beuhler's Pilgrim 44, and a few of Jay
                > Benford's designs. I thought if anyone could design a cheap,
                > functional design, Bolger could. Does anyone know of a Bolger
                > design that I should consider? I have "Boats with an Open Mind,"
                > but nothing in there strikes me. Any tips on where I can find study
                > plans and a good builder in the Northeast is also helpful.
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Glen
              • Peter Vanderwaart
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 8, 2000
                  > Tom Macnaughton in Maine has a couple of designs that might fit the
                  > bill, though the two that I am thinking of are both steel.

                  If we are going to list all the designer who deserve a look, I
                  nominiate Ted Brewer (http://xanadu.ncia.com/~brewdes/power.html),
                  and Scott Sprague (). Sprague worked for William Garden at one time,
                  I believe.

                  In Garden's Yacht Designs II there is a very big (much bigger than
                  what was asked for) power dory that indicates one way to go for size
                  and simplicity. Garden may have a smaller version. At the same
                  overall size, it would be generally similar to Bolger's Solution 48.

                  Peter
                • Clyde S. Wisner
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 9, 2000
                    If this is the same one I'm remembering, looks like he is taking the "V" bow hull
                    construction from the Topaz. Clyde