Re: Starting a boat?

  • Bink
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2 10:34 AM
      The weather was, once again, too perfect for the building of boats
      this last weekend. Sat. was spent jousting with tankers in the
      Carquinez Straits and Sun. exploring the Petaluma River with the
      trusty CSD Pirogue. Not many weekends I can steal a sail on BOTH
      days! The cartopper is still a pile of flat pieces in the garage.
      I'm using Payson's idea of attaching legs to frames B and C to raise
      the boat up to working heights. Thanks to the other posters for the
      info on the inwales/outwales. I was very confused after reading
      Dynamite's WoodenBoat article. I've never had problems with just
      using outwales...even on my Michalak Sport Dory that has two very
      thick layers that are double-beveled.

      Bink.

      I'll save the rainy Winter days to build boats.

      --- In bolger@egroups.com, freedem@e... wrote:
      > Good Golly how did october get here? are there any other still
      > planning to start a boat for use this year and how many are going
      > build one over the winter for a spring launch?
      > happy October
      > jeffe
    • Rich Deming
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3 2:24 AM
        I'm still building the Nymph. I did make progress on her this past
        weekend by sheathing the outside with glass/epoxy. One step closer!
        I'm determined to learn to sail the Nymph before Christmas!
        Being me, I have a 14' flat bottom skiff and a solo canoe in the
        works also. They should keep me busy all winter.
        I'm determined to learn to sail that Nymph before Christmas! Did I
        say that already?

        Keep smiling,
        Rich

        --- In bolger@egroups.com, freedem@e... wrote:
        > Good Golly how did october get here? are there any other still
        > planning to start a boat for use this year and how many are going
        > build one over the winter for a spring launch?
        > happy October
        > jeffe
      • Jake Millar
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3 5:10 PM
          --- In bolger@egroups.com, freedem@e... wrote:
          > Good Golly how did october get here? are there any other still
          > planning to start a boat for use this year and how many are going
          > build one over the winter for a spring launch?
          > happy October
          > jeffe

          I just started a Payson Pirogue. Hull's stitched together but have'nt
          started fillets or taping yet (maybe tomorrow). I just want to get
          the hull together then take my time finishing it out. Last winter's
          project was a Light Dory (love that boat!) The winter before was a
          Michalak Toto (just sold, hence the Pirogue). Before that I built a
          Minimum Kayak for my wife and several self designed kayaks for
          myself, borrowing heavily from the Minimum Kayak- a little longer a
          little wider etc.. Somewhere in there I built an Elegant Punt for my
          nephew. Jeez! This is starting to look like a resume! At any rate
          winter boatbuilding out in the garage has become an annual tradition.
          Thank god my wife does'nt ever expect to actually put her car in
          there! Jake
        • Julie E Johnson
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4 11:03 AM
            I just started my two sheet maximum skiff - Summer Breeze - inspired by
            Bolger's Teal.
            I'm posting building notes and pictures as I go.
            http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/summerbreeze.html
            A guy who lives on San Andres Island off the coast of Columbia saw my
            half sheet model, and contacted me about building Summer Breeze. I'm
            using this as motivation to build the full sized boat. Just started
            yesterday. So far so good.
            David Beede

            Jake Millar wrote:

            > --- In bolger@egroups.com, freedem@e... wrote:
            > > Good Golly how did october get here? are there any other still
            > > planning to start a boat for use this year and how many are going
            > > build one over the winter for a spring launch?
            > > happy October
            > > jeffe

            SOME CLICKS THAT COUNT!!
            Feed someone.