Re: Need help finding a Bolger design

  • Peter Vanderwaart
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
      > Does anyone know of a Bolger design that meets the following
      > requirements?

      The first design that comes to mind is the Solution. It is steel
      construction, but other than that it matches your requirements pretty
      well. As I recall, it is 48' long. Hull shape is simple douple-ended
      built from flat panels. Think of a huge Teal. Rig is two-masted. It
      is an all-out economy design which is the only way you are going to
      make your budget.

      The AS-29 and Loose Moose meet the requirements to various degrees,
      but you know about them and apparently they do not appeal.

      There is the 39' centerboard, plywood yawl that I mentioned in msg
      #7296. It was also designed with economy as a first priority. You
      could ask Bolger if it could carry the weight of a pilothouse.

      Peter
    • Giuseppe Bianco
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
        Peter, it seems to me that he wants a power boat... ;-)
        Best, Pippo

        --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Peter Vanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:
        > > Does anyone know of a Bolger design that meets the following
        > > requirements?
        >
        > The first design that comes to mind is the Solution. It is steel
        > construction, but other than that it matches your requirements
        pretty
        > well. As I recall, it is 48' long. Hull shape is simple
        douple-ended
        > built from flat panels. Think of a huge Teal. Rig is two-masted. It
        > is an all-out economy design which is the only way you are going to
        > make your budget.
        >
        > The AS-29 and Loose Moose meet the requirements to various degrees,
        > but you know about them and apparently they do not appeal.
        >
        > There is the 39' centerboard, plywood yawl that I mentioned in msg
        > #7296. It was also designed with economy as a first priority. You
        > could ask Bolger if it could carry the weight of a pilothouse.
        >
        > Peter
      • Foster Price
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
          Hi Guys

          Solution 48 (as mentioned by Peter) has been built as a powerboat, and
          apparently performs very well in this role. I have seen references to this
          on trawlerworld list. A search of their archive may throw something up.

          Foster Price

        • Frank San Miguel
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
            Check out 39' Tahiti. Described in great detail in Messing About in
            Boats. It is a brilliant boat.

            Frank

            --- In bolger@egroups.com, NORDIC37@A... wrote:
            > Does anyone know of a Bolger design that meets the following
            > requirements?
            >
            > I am planning to have a boat built for me. The operative words
            > here are economical (to build, maintain, and run), comfortable
            > (simple but not a hardship to stay 2 weeks on), and safe (the
            > New England waters can be unforgiving). I am looking for a
            > no-frills, diesel, raised pilothouse cruiser with a full
            diplacement
            > hull that will comfortably carry a couple, a 50# dog and an
            > occasional couple of guests. I am assuming the boat will be
            > about 38'-48', and displace well under 30,000# depending on
            > design/layout, etc.
            >
            > The boat will be used for serious coastal
            > cruising, the Great Circle and maybe some blue water (but
            > probably not). I live on the Narragansett, which is often windy and
            > choppy, and I don't need to mention how fickle Buzzard's Bay can
            > be. I am hoping for a hull that will be easily driven to hull speed
            > with a small (30-50 hp) Sabb, China Diesel, or re-built GM. For
            > the sake of building cost and ease of maintenance, I am thinking
            > of glass over plywood and a simple, single chine or flatbottomed
            > hull. A small cockpit would be great to relax in. While aesthetics
            > are fairly low on my list, the boat can't be painful to look at.
            I'm

          • NORDIC37@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
              Thanks Frank. I'll have a look. Is Tahiti a power boat? I'm talking trawler
              here...

              Glen
            • Harry W. James
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
                The Tahiti is very much a power boat. It is designed for long distance cruising
                for two and it is featured in MAIB 17-12,13,14 in detail. Coincidentally I had
                the articles out this morning to look up the engine. I personally believe that I
                could get it in the water, ready to cruise for less than $50,000. Lots of neat
                Bolger ideas.

                I feel sorry for those out of the range of normal postal delivery that can not
                partake of MAIB. Bolger's column is always interesting, but sometime he
                unlimbers one like the Tahiti, that leaves you staring out the window, oblivious
                to family and any other input but your wildly heated imagination.

                After further thought I guess almost all of his articles will fire up the dreams
                of somebody. We all respond to different drums and Bolger has more beats than a
                drum machine.

                HJ

                > Thanks Frank. I'll have a look. Is Tahiti a power boat? I'm talking trawler
                > here...
                >
                > Glen
                >
                > -

                _ _ _ _ _
                % Harry welshman@...
              • NORDIC37@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 3, 2000
                  Hi HJ:

                  I'm really showing my ingnorance here. But, here goes: What's MAIB, and how
                  do I get it?

                  Glen
                • Thomas Wunderlin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 3, 2000
                    Another boat you should look at is Bolger's Motorsailing Cargo Boat:

                    30'x10'x2', 14,800 lbs full load displacement, box-keel, very nice
                    wheelhouse, cargo hold could easily be converted into a salon.
                    Plywood-epoxy construction. 18+ hp diesel. Gaff cat yawl. You can
                    probably skip the rig and put in a bigger engine.

                    PCB sent me an article published in Jan/Feb 95 "Boatbuilder" magazine.

                    Original boat is currently under construction in Alaska.

                    Regards

                    Thomas
                  • Matthew, Agn├Ęs & Fletcher Peillet-Long
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 7, 2000
                      Tom Macnaughton in Maine has a couple of designs that might fit the
                      bill, though the two that I am thinking of are both steel.

                      His Freighter Houseboat (a concept, not a completed design) is very
                      interesting and almost Bolger in its simplicity, though PCB wouldn't
                      like the outboard well. Be sure to go on to the second page for the
                      interior plan and a nice little essay.

                      http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/freighterhb.htm

                      His Puffin 36 (a stock design) is a mini-tug stretched to a mini-
                      freighter. Very salty, and probably within the budget you describe,
                      though certainly not cheap. Maybe you could carry some cargo to pay
                      your way? ;-)

                      http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/puffin.htm

                      Neat stuff!

                      Matthew

                      --- In bolger@egroups.com, NORDIC37@A... wrote:
                      > Does anyone know of a Bolger design that meets the following
                      > requirements?
                      >
                      > I am planning to have a boat built for me. The operative words
                      > here are economical (to build, maintain, and run), comfortable
                      > (simple but not a hardship to stay 2 weeks on), and safe (the
                      > New England waters can be unforgiving). I am looking for a
                      > no-frills, diesel, raised pilothouse cruiser with a full diplacement
                      > hull that will comfortably carry a couple, a 50# dog and an
                      > occasional couple of guests. I am assuming the boat will be
                      > about 38'-48', and displace well under 30,000# depending on
                      > design/layout, etc.
                      >
                      > The boat will be used for serious coastal
                      > cruising, the Great Circle and maybe some blue water (but
                      > probably not). I live on the Narragansett, which is often windy and
                      > choppy, and I don't need to mention how fickle Buzzard's Bay can
                      > be. I am hoping for a hull that will be easily driven to hull speed
                      > with a small (30-50 hp) Sabb, China Diesel, or re-built GM. For
                      > the sake of building cost and ease of maintenance, I am thinking
                      > of glass over plywood and a simple, single chine or flatbottomed
                      > hull. A small cockpit would be great to relax in. While aesthetics
                      > are fairly low on my list, the boat can't be painful to look at. I'm
                      > hoping to have the boat built, cruise-ready (less electronics,
                      > safety gear, and nice touches) for about $50k. I will probably try to
                      > source some of the systems (engine, electronics, etc.) myself
                      > used in order to fit the budget. So we're talking Spartan here.
                      >
                      > I am considering George Beuhler's Pilgrim 44, and a few of Jay
                      > Benford's designs. I thought if anyone could design a cheap,
                      > functional design, Bolger could. Does anyone know of a Bolger
                      > design that I should consider? I have "Boats with an Open Mind,"
                      > but nothing in there strikes me. Any tips on where I can find study
                      > plans and a good builder in the Northeast is also helpful.
                      >
                      > Thanks.
                      >
                      > Glen
                    • Peter Vanderwaart
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 8, 2000
                        > Tom Macnaughton in Maine has a couple of designs that might fit the
                        > bill, though the two that I am thinking of are both steel.

                        If we are going to list all the designer who deserve a look, I
                        nominiate Ted Brewer (http://xanadu.ncia.com/~brewdes/power.html),
                        and Scott Sprague (). Sprague worked for William Garden at one time,
                        I believe.

                        In Garden's Yacht Designs II there is a very big (much bigger than
                        what was asked for) power dory that indicates one way to go for size
                        and simplicity. Garden may have a smaller version. At the same
                        overall size, it would be generally similar to Bolger's Solution 48.

                        Peter
                      • Clyde S. Wisner
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 9, 2000
                          If this is the same one I'm remembering, looks like he is taking the "V" bow hull
                          construction from the Topaz. Clyde