LSME Sailing details

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2 8:25 AM
      FBBB --

      Okay, details.

      Hoisting sails underway? Nope. This scooner has no motor. In fact,
      the entire aft section is closed up. As soon as I glean a way to make
      a cheap, watertight hatch, I'll cut a door in it and use it a locker.

      Remember, this boat is a sharpie. Floats on a heavy dew. We laid her
      up broadside on the beach, (more or less a beam of the wind,) and
      hoisted the sails on slack sheets while standing in ankle deep water.
      The loaded baby and dog, spun the boat downwind and let the breeze
      run us off the beach.

      In my haste to get her on the water *now*, I build a very rough
      rudder, just cut the best shape I could out of a piece of 3/4 AC
      48"x30", screwed the pintles into it and called it good.

      Running off the beach I used the rudder/tiller like a big steering
      paddle until we were in deep enough water to secure the rudder in
      place. Three things make this much, much easier than doing in the
      teal lil'winnie. First, I bought on pintle a little long than the
      other; second I was doing it out the back of a big, square-sterned
      boat rather than a little, pointy sterned dingy; third, I was a
      smooth water rather trying to get off the beach through 3 feet of
      swell and 1 foot of wind chop. None the less, a kick-up rudder is
      definitely called for, and I'll be building one over the winter.

      The wind was light and a little shifty on the run. We tried to coax
      the foresail over to run wing and wing, but it keep flopping back to
      the lee side. My wife took the tiller for most of the down wind leg.
      As it was her first time steering a boat, and only her second or
      third time in a sail boat, we sailed on a broad reach to reduce the
      likelihood of an unplanned jibe. We make two slow, planned jibes to
      the north end of the lake, the boat moving quietly in front of the
      gentle breeze the whole way. We ate meatball sandwiches and drank

      Lake Montauk narrows at the north end. That's also where you find the
      inlet, as well as the commercial and sport docks. The eel grass said
      the tide was running out at a good clip, (hint: if you can see the
      eel grass, your about to ground that 63' daggerboard,) so we headed
      up to begin our windward leg. The wind came up a little as my wife
      pushed the tiller to leeward and I hardened the sheets.

      As I said before, based on my reading, I fully expected our beat to
      windward to be series of slow, wet, and futile reaches back and forth
      across the north end, before we gave up, beached the boat, and
      hitched a ride back to the car. Happily, this was not to be.

      The scooner pointed! Did she point as high as bendy-masted,
      jib-headed, sloop with kevlar sails? I don't know, you don't see too
      many of those on Lake Montauk. But she did go to weather, and rather
      smartly too. With the dog snoozing amidships, and Mom, Dad and Maggie
      on the rail, she heeled a bit on the stronger puffs (12 knots maybe,)
      but we never felt the urge to luff up or easy the sails. I widened
      the deck to 12 inches; not only does this make a nice wide place to
      put one's nice wide ass, but it lets you put the rail in without too
      much worry. I suspect she's float on her ear without shipping water
      (a big change from lil'winnie which goes from sailing to sinking the
      instant water starts coming over the gunwale.

      What I really enjoyed was the way she'd heel a bit, then release and
      surge forward. When I looked back, I saw little whirlpools spinning
      of the rudder and a pair of little wave training coming off the
      corners. They receded surprisingly quickly, especially considering
      the the light wind.

      I haven't done any rigging of the sheet other than to tie them off to
      the booms. I want to get a better idea of where I want thing to be
      before I put anymore holes in the deck. I think Bolger's layout has
      as much to do with avoiding spending money at the chandlery as
      handiness. I'm all in favor of that, but I have bucket of salvaged
      bits and blocks. Might open up some options.

      One thing I did that didn't work: The cockpit coming. It looks nice,
      and would certainly offer a deterrent to any water on the deck that
      thought it might want to roll into the boat. But it's too high, cuts
      into the back of your thigh uncomfortably. Not enough to ruin the
      day's sail by any means, but it needs to be fixed.

      She's a beautiful boat, and by my reconning, easy to build. Not
      really any different than the teal, just bigger. When I saw her on
      the lawn, flying her canvas I was satisfied. The rest is just gravy.

      134 W.26th St. 12th Floor
      New York, NY 10001
      (212) 243-1636