Re: [bolger] Starting a boat?

  • Cyber Rebel
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
      I'm new to the list, but had to speak up on this one. I started my Light
      Schooner today by building the mainsail & foresail booms. I'm going tomorrow
      to find decent lumber for the masts & gaffs. I'm not quite sure yet whether
      to start on the hull or wait for Spring, since I have no indoor area in
      which to work. The cold doesn't bother me, but epoxy prefers warmer weather.
      I'm aiming to have the boat complete, minus sails, by the end of next
      spring. In order to afford the Sailrite kit, I'll need to finish restoring
      an old Pontiac I have and sell it. I should be motoring around on the
      Chesapeake by early summer if all goes well... but I may not have sails by
      then.

      Steve Lane
      Baltimore, Maryland
      __
      Human beings can always be counted upon to assert, with vigor, their
      God-given right to be stupid.
      -Dean Koontz
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
        Steve --

        Having just launched a light scooner, (much of which was built
        indoors,) I feel qualified to speak ;-)

        I assembled the bulkheads and topsides indoors. Had I been more
        ambitious, I also could have done the spars and foils. Unless your
        house is sealed up like a bottle, epoxy is safer to work with than
        many common household cleaning products. The hull goes together quite
        quickly. If you do all of the above, you won't have that much work to
        do once you move outdoors. There are also epoxies that will cure in
        low temps. I think WestSystem fast works down to about 35-40F. Be
        sure to get Tim's primer. It's full of misguide aussie ideas, but in
        the end it'll save you a lot of grief ;-)

        If you're hurting for cash, skip the sailrite kit. I got my sails out
        of a big drifter (main and jib) and smaller jib (foresail) off a 30
        sloop. I've got another jib I could cut into the staysail, but it's
        in such fine shape, I'm going to try to come up with a better use for
        it. Scrounge up some old sails, cut 'em to shape, glue/tape/sew the
        edges, bent 'em on and go sailing!

        Between lawnsailing and one day on the water, I can safely say you
        will be the *hero* of your neighborhood/landing/marina or anywhere
        else you go with this boat. She also sails handsomely, healing
        slightly with each puff, then surging ahead.

        CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
        134 W.26th St. 12th Floor
        New York, NY 10001
        (212) 243-1636
      • Bink
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
          The weather was, once again, too perfect for the building of boats
          this last weekend. Sat. was spent jousting with tankers in the
          Carquinez Straits and Sun. exploring the Petaluma River with the
          trusty CSD Pirogue. Not many weekends I can steal a sail on BOTH
          days! The cartopper is still a pile of flat pieces in the garage.
          I'm using Payson's idea of attaching legs to frames B and C to raise
          the boat up to working heights. Thanks to the other posters for the
          info on the inwales/outwales. I was very confused after reading
          Dynamite's WoodenBoat article. I've never had problems with just
          using outwales...even on my Michalak Sport Dory that has two very
          thick layers that are double-beveled.

          Bink.

          I'll save the rainy Winter days to build boats.

          --- In bolger@egroups.com, freedem@e... wrote:
          > Good Golly how did october get here? are there any other still
          > planning to start a boat for use this year and how many are going
          > build one over the winter for a spring launch?
          > happy October
          > jeffe
        • Rich Deming
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2000
            I'm still building the Nymph. I did make progress on her this past
            weekend by sheathing the outside with glass/epoxy. One step closer!
            I'm determined to learn to sail the Nymph before Christmas!
            Being me, I have a 14' flat bottom skiff and a solo canoe in the
            works also. They should keep me busy all winter.
            I'm determined to learn to sail that Nymph before Christmas! Did I
            say that already?

            Keep smiling,
            Rich

            --- In bolger@egroups.com, freedem@e... wrote:
            > Good Golly how did october get here? are there any other still
            > planning to start a boat for use this year and how many are going
            > build one over the winter for a spring launch?
            > happy October
            > jeffe
          • Jake Millar
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2000
              --- In bolger@egroups.com, freedem@e... wrote:
              > Good Golly how did october get here? are there any other still
              > planning to start a boat for use this year and how many are going
              > build one over the winter for a spring launch?
              > happy October
              > jeffe

              I just started a Payson Pirogue. Hull's stitched together but have'nt
              started fillets or taping yet (maybe tomorrow). I just want to get
              the hull together then take my time finishing it out. Last winter's
              project was a Light Dory (love that boat!) The winter before was a
              Michalak Toto (just sold, hence the Pirogue). Before that I built a
              Minimum Kayak for my wife and several self designed kayaks for
              myself, borrowing heavily from the Minimum Kayak- a little longer a
              little wider etc.. Somewhere in there I built an Elegant Punt for my
              nephew. Jeez! This is starting to look like a resume! At any rate
              winter boatbuilding out in the garage has become an annual tradition.
              Thank god my wife does'nt ever expect to actually put her car in
              there! Jake
            • Julie E Johnson
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2000
                I just started my two sheet maximum skiff - Summer Breeze - inspired by
                Bolger's Teal.
                I'm posting building notes and pictures as I go.
                http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/summerbreeze.html
                A guy who lives on San Andres Island off the coast of Columbia saw my
                half sheet model, and contacted me about building Summer Breeze. I'm
                using this as motivation to build the full sized boat. Just started
                yesterday. So far so good.
                David Beede

                Jake Millar wrote:

                > --- In bolger@egroups.com, freedem@e... wrote:
                > > Good Golly how did october get here? are there any other still
                > > planning to start a boat for use this year and how many are going
                > > build one over the winter for a spring launch?
                > > happy October
                > > jeffe

                SOME CLICKS THAT COUNT!!
                Feed someone.