[bolger] Re: Launched

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
      Peter --

      If the below is true, then maybe that explains why Bolger calls her a
      "scooner" rather than a schooner.

      Our course of the beach was dead before the wind for about 3 miles.
      On the way back we were beating the whole way and this former racer
      of lasers, lightnings and thistles had no complaints about the
      "scooner's" windward ability. She pointed nicely and tacked easily.
      Perhaps I have hidden talents as a sail maker.

      YIBB, (and sailmaking too!)

      -D

      >Not only is it impossible to sail upwind with a gaff rig, but a
      >schooner can't do it even with marconi rig. All those coasting
      >schooners were built in Boston, ran Down East to Eastport and were
      >abandoned there.

      CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
      134 W.26th St. 12th Floor
      New York, NY 10001
      (212) 243-1636
    • teakdeck@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
        Congratulations on successfully completing, launching and sailing your new
        schooner! Did the crew you mentioned actually pull on ropes and set sails?
        How did the boat feel under way - did it heel to the wind, was is fast,
        comfortable, what?

        Mike Masten
      • Garth Battista
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
          David --

          Congratulations on the launch! I admit I've been awaiting news of
          your launch like some ten-year-old waiting for the new Harry Potter.
          It sounds like it went perfectly. How was it getting sails up and
          underway -- any difficulty? Have you run all lines to the aft cockpit
          for single-handing, or did your wife raise the fore while you raised
          the main? Anyway, send us periodic reports if you sail again this
          fall. I'm curious about all aspects of this boat.
          I'm probably going to start the 25' Chebacco over the winter and
          into the spring, though my heart still tugs toward building a Light
          Schooner. (Maybe that'll be my 2002 project . . . )
          Anyway -- congrats again. We've all followed this boat from its
          early moments and it's great to know it has sailed and wowed everyone
          out on the East End. I hope you can post some pictures of it out on
          the water.

          All best,
          Garth

          > The light scooner Margaret Ellen has been launched. Sails
          > beautifully. Wife likes it, baby Margaret Ellen likes it, the dog
          > curled up in the forward cockpit and snoozed.
        • Jim Pope
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
            Nice work.
            But don't listen to those negative types. Those schooners all piled up there
            in Maine simply waited for the next good nor'easter and just broad reached
            their way right back down to the home of the Cod and the Bean.
            Jim

            Peter Vanderwaart wrote:

            > > The light scooner Margaret Ellen has been launched. Sails
            > > beautifully. Wife likes it, baby Margaret Ellen likes it, the dog
            > > curled up in the forward cockpit and snoozed.
            >
            > Well done!
            >
            > Not only is it impossible to sail upwind with a gaff rig, but a
            > schooner can't do it even with marconi rig. All those coasting
            > schooners were built in Boston, ran Down East to Eastport and were
            > abandoned there.
            >
            > Peter
            >

            > Bolger rules!!!
            > - no cursing
            > - stay on topic
            > - use punctuation
          • Mark Albanese
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
              David,

              The thing that shines in all your writing here is your enthusiasm for
              building boats.
              To be in it floating must have been very sweet. Good work.

              Mark