Re: [bolger] Cartopper Gunwale Question

  • StepHydro@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2000
      In a message dated 10/01/2000 6:<BR29:<BR58 PM
      Eastern Daylight , oldenmarks@... writes:
      > Is it Ok to just have an outwale?

      Kurt,

      The easy answer...." Buddy, it's *your* boat" :-)

      In a plywood boat, the inwale gives a bit more protection to the edge of the
      ply. However, the inwale/outwale is supposed to add stiffness to the boat. If
      you get it sufficiently stiff with an outwale (usually at least twice the
      cross sectional area of the designed outwale) then you'll be all right.

      I've done it both ways. The in/out system makes a nice mounting for oarlock
      blocks, and the blocked-out inwale adds stiffness faster than weight.

      Cheers/Step
    • Harry W. James
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2000
        My plans show outwale only (lower left corner sheet 3). The
        written portion indicates outwale only also, the only proviso
        being to do it in two 1/2" strips, to finish 1" square,
        presumably to make it fit the curve easier.

        HJ

        Kurt Oldenburg & Jill Marks wrote:

        > I am in the process of building a Cartopper and have a question
        > about the gunwales. Payson says you should put inwales and
        > outwales, however this would require cutting down the frames to
        > allow the inwales to fit, as the frames go right to the
        > sheer.the Wooden boat article seems to omit the inwales
        > entirely. I can also see doing this for more comfort
        > sailing.Daoes anyone have any experience with this? Is it Ok to
        > just have an outwale?Thanks

        _ _ _ _ _
        % Harry welshman@...