Cartopper Gunwale Question

  • Kurt Oldenburg & Jill Marks
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2000
      I am in the process of building a Cartopper and have a question about the gunwales. Payson says you should put inwales and outwales, however this would require cutting down the frames to allow the inwales to fit, as the frames go right to the sheer.
      the Wooden boat article seems to omit the inwales entirely. I can also see doing this for more comfort sailing.
      Daoes anyone have any experience with this? Is it Ok to just have an outwale?
      Thanks

      Kurt Oldenburg
    • StepHydro@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2000
        In a message dated 10/01/2000 6:<BR29:<BR58 PM
        Eastern Daylight , oldenmarks@... writes:
        > Is it Ok to just have an outwale?

        Kurt,

        The easy answer...." Buddy, it's *your* boat" :-)

        In a plywood boat, the inwale gives a bit more protection to the edge of the
        ply. However, the inwale/outwale is supposed to add stiffness to the boat. If
        you get it sufficiently stiff with an outwale (usually at least twice the
        cross sectional area of the designed outwale) then you'll be all right.

        I've done it both ways. The in/out system makes a nice mounting for oarlock
        blocks, and the blocked-out inwale adds stiffness faster than weight.

        Cheers/Step
      • Harry W. James
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2000
          My plans show outwale only (lower left corner sheet 3). The
          written portion indicates outwale only also, the only proviso
          being to do it in two 1/2" strips, to finish 1" square,
          presumably to make it fit the curve easier.

          HJ

          Kurt Oldenburg & Jill Marks wrote:

          > I am in the process of building a Cartopper and have a question
          > about the gunwales. Payson says you should put inwales and
          > outwales, however this would require cutting down the frames to
          > allow the inwales to fit, as the frames go right to the
          > sheer.the Wooden boat article seems to omit the inwales
          > entirely. I can also see doing this for more comfort
          > sailing.Daoes anyone have any experience with this? Is it Ok to
          > just have an outwale?Thanks

          _ _ _ _ _
          % Harry welshman@...