Re: [bolger] Starting a boat?

  • Michael Surface
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
      I am still working on finishing the mast, rudder, and leeboard for my Brick.
      I have the leeboard done and all the rudder parts cutout and glued. I am
      modifing the rudder so it is a kickup and this of course has caused it to
      take longer to build. I got the mast fully shaped but still have to varnish
      it. I only get about 4 to 6 hours a week to work on the boat, but still
      hope to go for a sail if the fall stays warm. Otherwise I will work on
      giving the Brick a better finsh over the winter.

      Michael Surface

      >From: freedem@...
      >To: bolger@egroups.com
      >Subject: [bolger] Starting a boat?
      >Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 18:02:29 -0000
      >
      >Good Golly how did october get here? are there any other still
      >planning to start a boat for use this year and how many are going to
      >build one over the winter for a spring launch?
      >happy October
      >jeffe

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Cyber Rebel
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
        I'm new to the list, but had to speak up on this one. I started my Light
        Schooner today by building the mainsail & foresail booms. I'm going tomorrow
        to find decent lumber for the masts & gaffs. I'm not quite sure yet whether
        to start on the hull or wait for Spring, since I have no indoor area in
        which to work. The cold doesn't bother me, but epoxy prefers warmer weather.
        I'm aiming to have the boat complete, minus sails, by the end of next
        spring. In order to afford the Sailrite kit, I'll need to finish restoring
        an old Pontiac I have and sell it. I should be motoring around on the
        Chesapeake by early summer if all goes well... but I may not have sails by
        then.

        Steve Lane
        Baltimore, Maryland
        __
        Human beings can always be counted upon to assert, with vigor, their
        God-given right to be stupid.
        -Dean Koontz
        > I am still working on finishing the mast, rudder, and leeboard for my
        Brick.
        > I have the leeboard done and all the rudder parts cutout and glued. I am
        > modifing the rudder so it is a kickup and this of course has caused it to
        > take longer to build. I got the mast fully shaped but still have to
        varnish
        > it. I only get about 4 to 6 hours a week to work on the boat, but still
        > hope to go for a sail if the fall stays warm. Otherwise I will work on
        > giving the Brick a better finsh over the winter.
        >
        > Michael Surface
        >

        > >From: freedem@...
        > >To: bolger@egroups.com
        > >Subject: [bolger] Starting a boat?
        > >Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 18:02:29 -0000
        > >
        > >Good Golly how did october get here? are there any other still
        > >planning to start a boat for use this year and how many are going to
        > >build one over the winter for a spring launch?
        > >happy October
        > >jeffe

        > http://profiles.msn.com
        >

        > Bolger rules!!!
        > - no cursing
        > - stay on topic
        > - use punctuation

      • David Ryan
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
          Steve --

          Having just launched a light scooner, (much of which was built
          indoors,) I feel qualified to speak ;-)

          I assembled the bulkheads and topsides indoors. Had I been more
          ambitious, I also could have done the spars and foils. Unless your
          house is sealed up like a bottle, epoxy is safer to work with than
          many common household cleaning products. The hull goes together quite
          quickly. If you do all of the above, you won't have that much work to
          do once you move outdoors. There are also epoxies that will cure in
          low temps. I think WestSystem fast works down to about 35-40F. Be
          sure to get Tim's primer. It's full of misguide aussie ideas, but in
          the end it'll save you a lot of grief ;-)

          If you're hurting for cash, skip the sailrite kit. I got my sails out
          of a big drifter (main and jib) and smaller jib (foresail) off a 30
          sloop. I've got another jib I could cut into the staysail, but it's
          in such fine shape, I'm going to try to come up with a better use for
          it. Scrounge up some old sails, cut 'em to shape, glue/tape/sew the
          edges, bent 'em on and go sailing!

          Between lawnsailing and one day on the water, I can safely say you
          will be the *hero* of your neighborhood/landing/marina or anywhere
          else you go with this boat. She also sails handsomely, healing
          slightly with each puff, then surging ahead.

          CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
          134 W.26th St. 12th Floor
          New York, NY 10001
          (212) 243-1636
        • Bink
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
            The weather was, once again, too perfect for the building of boats
            this last weekend. Sat. was spent jousting with tankers in the
            Carquinez Straits and Sun. exploring the Petaluma River with the
            trusty CSD Pirogue. Not many weekends I can steal a sail on BOTH
            days! The cartopper is still a pile of flat pieces in the garage.
            I'm using Payson's idea of attaching legs to frames B and C to raise
            the boat up to working heights. Thanks to the other posters for the
            info on the inwales/outwales. I was very confused after reading
            Dynamite's WoodenBoat article. I've never had problems with just
            using outwales...even on my Michalak Sport Dory that has two very
            thick layers that are double-beveled.

            Bink.

            I'll save the rainy Winter days to build boats.

            --- In bolger@egroups.com, freedem@e... wrote:
            > Good Golly how did october get here? are there any other still
            > planning to start a boat for use this year and how many are going
            > build one over the winter for a spring launch?
            > happy October
            > jeffe
          • Rich Deming
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2000
              I'm still building the Nymph. I did make progress on her this past
              weekend by sheathing the outside with glass/epoxy. One step closer!
              I'm determined to learn to sail the Nymph before Christmas!
              Being me, I have a 14' flat bottom skiff and a solo canoe in the
              works also. They should keep me busy all winter.
              I'm determined to learn to sail that Nymph before Christmas! Did I
              say that already?

              Keep smiling,
              Rich

              --- In bolger@egroups.com, freedem@e... wrote:
              > Good Golly how did october get here? are there any other still
              > planning to start a boat for use this year and how many are going
              > build one over the winter for a spring launch?
              > happy October
              > jeffe
            • Jake Millar
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2000
                --- In bolger@egroups.com, freedem@e... wrote:
                > Good Golly how did october get here? are there any other still
                > planning to start a boat for use this year and how many are going
                > build one over the winter for a spring launch?
                > happy October
                > jeffe

                I just started a Payson Pirogue. Hull's stitched together but have'nt
                started fillets or taping yet (maybe tomorrow). I just want to get
                the hull together then take my time finishing it out. Last winter's
                project was a Light Dory (love that boat!) The winter before was a
                Michalak Toto (just sold, hence the Pirogue). Before that I built a
                Minimum Kayak for my wife and several self designed kayaks for
                myself, borrowing heavily from the Minimum Kayak- a little longer a
                little wider etc.. Somewhere in there I built an Elegant Punt for my
                nephew. Jeez! This is starting to look like a resume! At any rate
                winter boatbuilding out in the garage has become an annual tradition.
                Thank god my wife does'nt ever expect to actually put her car in
                there! Jake
              • Julie E Johnson
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 4, 2000
                  I just started my two sheet maximum skiff - Summer Breeze - inspired by
                  Bolger's Teal.
                  I'm posting building notes and pictures as I go.
                  http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/summerbreeze.html
                  A guy who lives on San Andres Island off the coast of Columbia saw my
                  half sheet model, and contacted me about building Summer Breeze. I'm
                  using this as motivation to build the full sized boat. Just started
                  yesterday. So far so good.
                  David Beede

                  Jake Millar wrote:

                  > --- In bolger@egroups.com, freedem@e... wrote:
                  > > Good Golly how did october get here? are there any other still
                  > > planning to start a boat for use this year and how many are going
                  > > build one over the winter for a spring launch?
                  > > happy October
                  > > jeffe

                  SOME CLICKS THAT COUNT!!
                  Feed someone.