Launched

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
      FBBB --

      The light scooner Margaret Ellen has been launched. Sails
      beautifully. Wife likes it, baby Margaret Ellen likes it, the dog
      curled up in the forward cockpit and snoozed.

      She's my first gaff rigged boat, and after all I have been
      hearing/reading about gaff-rigged performance, I expected to sail
      down the lake and then walk back (no choice but to start at the
      windward end.

      Now, having run down the lake and beat back (against the tide, I
      might add,) I just have to assume that modern, high-aspect ratio rigs
      can sail straight into the wind.

      I do seem to have a small leak in the daggerboard truck. Nothing
      dire, but she's definitely taking water. Something to chase down
      before she goes back into the water next Spring.

      YIBB,

      David

      CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
      134 W.26th St. 12th Floor
      New York, NY 10001
      (212) 243-1636
    • freedem@excite.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
        Congratulations
        Jeffery

        --- In bolger@egroups.com, David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
        > FBBB --
        >
        > The light scooner Margaret Ellen has been launched. Sails
        > beautifully. Wife likes it, baby Margaret Ellen likes it, the dog
        > curled up in the forward cockpit and snoozed.
        >
        > She's my first gaff rigged boat, and after all I have been
        > hearing/reading about gaff-rigged performance, I expected to sail
        > down the lake and then walk back (no choice but to start at the
        > windward end.
        >
        > Now, having run down the lake and beat back (against the tide, I
        > might add,) I just have to assume that modern, high-aspect ratio
        rigs
        > can sail straight into the wind.
        >
        > I do seem to have a small leak in the daggerboard truck. Nothing
        > dire, but she's definitely taking water. Something to chase down
        > before she goes back into the water next Spring.
        >
        > YIBB,
        >
        > David
        >

        > CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
        > 134 W.26th St. 12th Floor
        > New York, NY 10001
        > (212) 243-163
      • Peter Vanderwaart
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
          > The light scooner Margaret Ellen has been launched. Sails
          > beautifully. Wife likes it, baby Margaret Ellen likes it, the dog
          > curled up in the forward cockpit and snoozed.

          Well done!

          Not only is it impossible to sail upwind with a gaff rig, but a
          schooner can't do it even with marconi rig. All those coasting
          schooners were built in Boston, ran Down East to Eastport and were
          abandoned there.

          Peter
        • David Ryan
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
            Peter --

            If the below is true, then maybe that explains why Bolger calls her a
            "scooner" rather than a schooner.

            Our course of the beach was dead before the wind for about 3 miles.
            On the way back we were beating the whole way and this former racer
            of lasers, lightnings and thistles had no complaints about the
            "scooner's" windward ability. She pointed nicely and tacked easily.
            Perhaps I have hidden talents as a sail maker.

            YIBB, (and sailmaking too!)

            -D

          • teakdeck@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
              Congratulations on successfully completing, launching and sailing your new
              schooner! Did the crew you mentioned actually pull on ropes and set sails?
              How did the boat feel under way - did it heel to the wind, was is fast,
              comfortable, what?

              Mike Masten
            • Garth Battista
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
                David --

                Congratulations on the launch! I admit I've been awaiting news of
                your launch like some ten-year-old waiting for the new Harry Potter.
                It sounds like it went perfectly. How was it getting sails up and
                underway -- any difficulty? Have you run all lines to the aft cockpit
                for single-handing, or did your wife raise the fore while you raised
                the main? Anyway, send us periodic reports if you sail again this
                fall. I'm curious about all aspects of this boat.
                I'm probably going to start the 25' Chebacco over the winter and
                into the spring, though my heart still tugs toward building a Light
                Schooner. (Maybe that'll be my 2002 project . . . )
                Anyway -- congrats again. We've all followed this boat from its
                early moments and it's great to know it has sailed and wowed everyone
                out on the East End. I hope you can post some pictures of it out on
                the water.

                All best,
                Garth

                > The light scooner Margaret Ellen has been launched. Sails
                > beautifully. Wife likes it, baby Margaret Ellen likes it, the dog
                > curled up in the forward cockpit and snoozed.
              • Jim Pope
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
                  Nice work.
                  But don't listen to those negative types. Those schooners all piled up there
                  in Maine simply waited for the next good nor'easter and just broad reached
                  their way right back down to the home of the Cod and the Bean.
                  Jim

                  Peter Vanderwaart wrote:

                  > > The light scooner Margaret Ellen has been launched. Sails
                  > > beautifully. Wife likes it, baby Margaret Ellen likes it, the dog
                  > > curled up in the forward cockpit and snoozed.
                  >
                  > Well done!
                  >
                  > Not only is it impossible to sail upwind with a gaff rig, but a
                  > schooner can't do it even with marconi rig. All those coasting
                  > schooners were built in Boston, ran Down East to Eastport and were
                  > abandoned there.
                  >
                  > Peter
                  >

                  > Bolger rules!!!
                  > - no cursing
                  > - stay on topic
                  > - use punctuation
                • Mark Albanese
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2000
                    David,

                    The thing that shines in all your writing here is your enthusiasm for
                    building boats.
                    To be in it floating must have been very sweet. Good work.

                    Mark