Re: [bolger] Microtrawler

  • helmut wams
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2000
      Hello Chuck,

      Thank you very much for your quick answer. I found it a very
      interesting page which gave a nice impresseion of the construction of
      the boat. Please stay in contact if you have any nieuws.

      Helmut from Holland

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 15, 2005
        I'm looking for a little more information on the Microtrawler than is
        given in Boats with an Open Mind. Is the construction of the plywood
        instant boat type? What size engine is typical? What is the draft? I
        ran a search on this group, and discovered the plans are $150. Is this
        accurate?

        Thanks,

        Ron
      • s4a9m8
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2005
          I think my previous attempt at posting was incorrect. If this is a
          duplicate, I apologize.

          I'm looking for more information on the Microtrawler than is given in
          Boats with an Open Mind. Is the construction of the plywood - instant
          boat type? What engine size is typically used? What is the draft?
          Elsewhere in this group I saw a post indicating that the cost of plans
          is $150. Is this accurate?

          Thanks,

          Ron
        • Bob Chamberland
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2005
            You might ask your question on the microtrawler site. Anyway yes the
            Microtrawler is plywood construction and does not require lofting but
            it is not really an instant boat. I think the typical engine being
            used for Microtrawler is probably a Honda 40 4 cycle though I'm sure
            there are other engines being used. Draft is around 12-15" I no longer
            have the plans so am not sure. I would suggest you get the plans from
            Bolger or Harold Payson for the latest.
            Bob Chamberland

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "s4a9m8" <sammi13@f...> wrote:

            > I'm looking for a little more information on the Microtrawler than is
            > given in Boats with an Open Mind. Is the construction of the plywood
            > instant boat type? What size engine is typical? What is the draft? I
            > ran a search on this group, and discovered the plans are $150. Is this
            > accurate?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Ron

          • Rick Bedard
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 15, 2005
              Ron,

              Bolger lays out simple and straightforward steps (56 if I recall correctly) to go from 15 sheets of plywood to a Microtrawler. Dimensions for each piece are clear on the drawings and a neat isometric sketch gives you a good understanding of how it all goes together. Some of the plans drawings are published in Bolger's "Boats With an Open Mind".

              The prefered engine is a Yamaha T-50. My MT, and two others I know, of use 9.9hp, but run at displacement speed only. Most run 25-40hp, the lower hp having difficulty planing with any load.

              Draft is 8 inches unloaded.

              Best to buy plans directly from Bolger and benefit from his full support.

              Snail mail or fax;

              Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

              Check out the Microtrawler group for photos and other builders...

              Rick

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "s4a9m8" <sammi13@f...> wrote:

              > I'm looking for a little more information on the Microtrawler than is
              > given in Boats with an Open Mind. Is the construction of the plywood
              > instant boat type? What size engine is typical? What is the draft? I
              > ran a search on this group, and discovered the plans are $150. Is this
              > accurate?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Ron

              Bolger rules!!!

              Boating safety Alaska outdoors Boating magazine Great outdoors

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 16, 2005
                Just to clarify;

                There is a Microtrawler group here on Yahoo.

                Bolger is the designer and sells the plans with the latest updates and
                his support. I believe the price you have is correct.

                Yes it is an "Instant" boat but the step keel adds some complexity as
                does all the superstructure. Lots of good pics at the microtrawler group.

                There is an unauthorized outfit that sells old versions of the plans
                called Common Sense Designs. They are in Canada, and Bolger has been
                unable to prevent the theft. Please buy your plans from Bolger.
                You'll find his fax, and snail mail at the bottom of most posts
                emailed to you from here.