RE: [bolger] What to do with a Sabb 8/10?

  • Orr, Jamie
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2000
      You can donate boats and related stuff to:

      Sail and Life Training Society
      Box 5014, Station B
      Victoria, BC V8R 6N3
      Canada
      Phone (604) 383-6811
      Fax (604) 383-7781

      They have a well established donation program, I'm pretty sure they can
      provide a US tax write-off as well as Canadian. I'm a member of the
      Society, mostly for the occasional opportunity to get out on a members'
      sail!

      They seem to be a pretty good crowd, dedicated to their work.

      Jamie Orr

      "...Anyone know of a
      charitable cause/community boatbuilding project that could provide me with a
      tax write-off in exchange? I will consider all ideas/offers.

      Peace."

      Bolger rules!!!
      - no cursing
      - stay on topic
      - use punctuation
      - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts
      - add some content: send "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
    • Clyde S. Wisner
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2000
        Where are you located? Clyde Wisner, clydewis@...

        "Brand, Christopher" wrote:

        > I bought a 30' Colvin-designed sailboat earlier this year and am preparing
        > to get her launched. Her previous owner/builder had fitted one of those
        > wonderful old Sabb 8/10 single cylinder diesels. After the refit, I have
        > pretty much decided to leave the engine out. I don't want to live with the
        > thing and it's fuel, and the loss of 500+ pounds in the end of the boat will
        > allow the ballast to be considerably lower and more central. The extra
        > space will be a big boon as well (honey, now we can have a head!).
        >
        > The flip side of this is that I now have one of the finest, most reliable
        > small diesels ever made sitting in my garage. I make sure to keep it oiled
        > and turn it over every week or so, but this isn't the proper fate for this
        > engine.
        >
        > I would like to find a suitable home for the Sabb (which apparently has
        > about 150 hours on it). I have all of the original papers, the engine, 12"
        > feathering propeller and shaft, the optional(!) electric starter, two sets
        > of remote engine controls, the front-mounted hand-start crank, and all the
        > accompanying bits and pieces.
        >
        > The engine was out of the boat when I bought her so I have never seen it
        > run, but I think that with a little fiddling I could fix that :) All my
        > paperwork indicates that the original owner had about $5700 in it. I would
        > be glad to get $3000 or so, especially if it was going into an interesting
        > project.
        >
        > The only other alternative is for me to build a suitable boat for it...
        > Until we've had some time sailing on Ginger, I don't think my wife would
        > stand for that.
        >
        > Anyone building a small diesel cruiser (Bolger's 'Marina Cruiser' comes to
        > mind, or perhaps a power dory) and need an engine? Anyone know of a
        > charitable cause/community boatbuilding project that could provide me with a
        > tax write-off in exchange? I will consider all ideas/offers.
        >
        > Peace.
        >

        > Bolger rules!!!
        > - no cursing
        > - stay on topic
        > - use punctuation
      • Brand, Christopher
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 2000
          Excellent question! I apologize for the omission. I am located in
          South-Central Florida, just SW of the intersection of highways 27 & 70.
          This is near (South of) Lake Placid and Sebring Florida, about 2 hours South
          of Orlando on 27.

          BTW, the engine is on a hydraulic hoist that would go with it in the
          transaction (what would I use it for?). I moved it here from the East Coast
          of Florida in a rented 4x8 U-Haul trailer without difficulty.

          Christopher Brand
          Venus, FL
          (863)465-4806