[bolger] sneakbox impressions

  • Joe Bradford
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 1999
      I saw the Sneakbox on the Carlson Designs web page. Such a unique and
      charming boat. I've heard it's similar to the Tennessee and Idaho, is that
      correct?

      What is the beam of the Sneakbox? The narrowness of these things is just
      shocking, but I suppose if you widen it 8"-12" you'd really compromise the
      efficiency of the design.

      What is your reaction to building the Idaho with a full skeg and amidships
      inboard? I'm studying a 1200cc Subaru conversion, prop limited to about 35
      hp. Very light (230# all up) and compact. If space is not prohibitive in
      that skinny hull I'd like to use a 27 hp Universal diesel (under 350#
      rigged. Imagine the range you would have!

      Say, Gregg, could you cut a set of patterns for a guy?
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
        Joe:

        When I first bought the plans for the Tennessee that I built, I asked
        Bernie about an inboard for that boat. He thought that the boat was too
        quick and dirty to stand the investment of an inboard, but I still think it
        would be fun. I, personally don't build boats for financial considerations

        Chuck

        > I saw the Sneakbox on the Carlson Designs web page. Such a unique and
        > charming boat. I've heard it's similar to the Tennessee and Idaho, is
        that
        > correct?
        >
        > What is the beam of the Sneakbox? The narrowness of these things is just
        > shocking, but I suppose if you widen it 8"-12" you'd really compromise the
        > efficiency of the design.
        >
        > What is your reaction to building the Idaho with a full skeg and amidships
        > inboard? I'm studying a 1200cc Subaru conversion, prop limited to about
        35
        > hp. Very light (230# all up) and compact. If space is not prohibitive in
        > that skinny hull I'd like to use a 27 hp Universal diesel (under 350#
        > rigged. Imagine the range you would have!
        >
        > Say, Gregg, could you cut a set of patterns for a guy?

        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/630
        >

        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger

      • GHC
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
          Hi,

          The Sneakeasy is 4' wide (I think there is another boat by Jim Michalak
          called the Sneakbox), but is very stable. As with all Bolger's square
          boats, the chine extends out as far as you can stand. Standing on a
          gunnel, you would have a tough time pushing that chine, 20+ feet of it,
          down very far in the water. Initial stability is very high.

          I thought a lot about an inboard diesel in the Sneakeasy. I built it for
          the navigation channel, with the first stop at 100 miles. Economy, range,
          and speed with the 2-cycle 25 are just OK. I had 2 props pitched at 13 and
          15 inches (I think): both gave me the same speed - about 20 mph - but the
          flat prop seem to run loud (high rpm) and burned all my gas (20 gal) and
          the high pitch ran more quiet with about 1/3 less fuel at 100 miles. I
          still want more like 30 mph, so I plan to fair the bottom and maybe add
          horsepower.

          Yes, I can plot patterns.

          Gregg

        • bradford@dynasty.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
            Don't rely on me here, but I doubt if a fair bottom will get you near
            30mph. Each successive unit of speed comes dearer than the last; a
            wild guess says your gain will be pretty small (a 50% gain is
            enormous.)

            Is the performance near your expectations, or did you expect 30mph on
            25hp?
            Also, how does she handle at manuevering speeds?

            (Is that the Kerr-cLellan channel you speak of?)

            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=75

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
              I cannot imagine any financial reward in building a boat. I'd love to
              hear about your boat though. I've just got a thing for long, skinny
              boats. I'm itching for a new project. I saw a Tennessee in a photo a
              few years back and fell hard. I assumed that Idaho was simply an
              enlarged version, but apparently I'm mistaken there.

              <007501beddb6$06c961c0$4d0247c-@duckworks> wrote:
              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=74
              > Joe:
              >
              > When I first bought the plans for the Tennessee that I built, I asked
              > Bernie about an inboard for that boat. He thought that the boat was
              too
              > quick and dirty to stand the investment of an inboard, but I still
              think it
              > would be fun. I, personally don't build boats for financial
              considerations

              > Chuck
              >

              > > I saw the Sneakbox on the Carlson Designs web page. Such a unique
              and
              > > charming boat. I've heard it's similar to the Tennessee and Idaho,
              is
              > that
              > > correct?
              > >
              > > What is the beam of the Sneakbox? The narrowness of these things
              is just
              > > shocking, but I suppose if you widen it 8"-12" you'd really
              compromise the
              > > efficiency of the design.
              > >
              > > What is your reaction to building the Idaho with a full skeg and
              amidships
              > > inboard? I'm studying a 1200cc Subaru conversion, prop limited to
              about
              > 35
              > > hp. Very light (230# all up) and compact. If space is not
              prohibitive in
              > > that skinny hull I'd like to use a 27 hp Universal diesel (under
              350#
              > > rigged. Imagine the range you would have!
              > >
              > > Say, Gregg, could you cut a set of patterns for a guy?

            • G Carlson
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
                It seems like I got 16 mph on my original Mariner 15, so I was hoping for
                25+ on my present Evinrude 25. With nothing in the boat but me, I can just
                get 22 on a good day with a light ripple on the water. Perfectly flat
                water is slower - 20-21. It suprised me that the speed potential was the
                same for either prop - maybe I need to split the difference, as I think the
                high-pitch prop is slightly lugging the rpm. I don't suspect I'm getting a
                good 25 either - what I may need is 35-40 horsepower where I can cruise at
                less than full throttle.

                Yes, our channel is the Kerr-Mclellan, which is the Verdigris River up here
                in Tulsa, OK, flowing to the Arkansas River down in Muskogee. We took our
                freedom down the river to the Mississippi and on down to new Orleans a
                couple of years ago. About 1000 miles.

                Gregg