Re: Bolger Camper #640

  • John Bell
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6 7:50 AM
      I've got a picture at home. I got the sketches a few years ago from a
      gentleman by the name of Mike Wagenbach who commissioned it. It is a
      very fancy little boat, one that should not be built cheaply.

      It has a ~150 sq foot gaff rig, tabernacled mast, and positions for
      two rowers. I did not think it would be all that great a camping boat
      for two, but I could be wrong.

      I'll see if I still have the scans available.

      JB

      --- In bolger@egroups.com, kayaker37@h... wrote:
      > I was searching for info on the Birdwatcher and I came across an
      > index listing for the Feb 1 1997 issue of MAIB for
      >
      > Camper #640
      > 18' x 5'3" x 6" gaff cat sharpie with
      > Birdwatcher cabin
      >
      > Has anyone built this boat, or have a drawing of it? I love the
      > Birdwatcher (actually I love about a half dozen of his designs) but
      > wish it were somewhat shorter. I've seen Jim Michalak's IMB and
      > Jewelbox but was hoping for something prettier along the lines of
      > Birdwatcher.
      >
      > I have not seen any Messing About in Boats issues. Do you recommend
      > that I subscribe?
      >
      > Thanks, Paul.
    • Peter Vanderwaart
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6 8:46 AM
        All-in-all, a great example of why PCB (and other professionals) are
        excluded from the Duckworks design comp.

        :-)

        Peter

        --- In bolger@egroups.com, "John Bell" <jmbell@m...> wrote:
        > I've got a picture at home. I got the sketches a few years ago from
        > gentleman by the name of Mike Wagenbach who commissioned it. It is
        > very fancy little boat, one that should not be built cheaply.
        >
        > It has a ~150 sq foot gaff rig, tabernacled mast, and positions for
        > two rowers. I did not think it would be all that great a camping
        boat
        > for two, but I could be wrong.
        >
        > I'll see if I still have the scans available.
        >
        > JB
        >
        > --- In bolger@egroups.com, kayaker37@h... wrote:
        > > I was searching for info on the Birdwatcher and I came across an
        > > index listing for the Feb 1 1997 issue of MAIB for
        > >
        > > Camper #640
        > > 18' x 5'3" x 6" gaff cat sharpie with
        > > Birdwatcher cabin
        > >
        > > Has anyone built this boat, or have a drawing of it? I love the
        > > Birdwatcher (actually I love about a half dozen of his designs)
        but
        > > wish it were somewhat shorter. I've seen Jim Michalak's IMB and
        > > Jewelbox but was hoping for something prettier along the lines of
        > > Birdwatcher.
        > >
        > > I have not seen any Messing About in Boats issues. Do you
        recommend
        > > that I subscribe?
        > >
        > > Thanks, Paul.
      • John Bell
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 24, 2000
          I finally found this one in my files and scanned it for the group:

          http://www.egroups.com/files/bolger/Bolger+%23640_1.jpg
          http://www.egroups.com/files/bolger/Bolger+%23640_2.jpg

          Enjoy!

          John Bell

        • kayaker37@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 25, 2000
            Thanks for posting the pics John. I was wondering about this design
            again the other night.

            Does anyone know if these high sided boats, such as Birdwatcher, IMB,
            etc. have any handling problems with such a large surface area
            exposed above the waterline?

            Paul

            --- In bolger@egroups.com, "John Bell" <jmbell@m...> wrote:
            > I finally found this one in my files and scanned it for the group:
            >
            > http://www.egroups.com/files/bolger/Bolger+%23640_1.jpg
            > http://www.egroups.com/files/bolger/Bolger+%23640_2.jpg
            >
            > Enjoy!
            >
            > John Bell
          • Michael Surface
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 25, 2000
              I don't know what the problem is put the addresses you below give me a not
              such file error at the e-group. I can not find any file with the names
              listed below. Help!!!

              Michael Surface

              >From: "John Bell" <jmbell@...>
              >To: bolger@egroups.com
              >Subject: [bolger] Re: Bolger Camper #640
              >Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 17:16:00 -0000
              >
              >I finally found this one in my files and scanned it for the group:
              >
              >http://www.egroups.com/files/bolger/Bolger+%23640_1.jpg
              >http://www.egroups.com/files/bolger/Bolger+%23640_2.jpg
              >
              >Enjoy!
              >
              >John Bell
              >

              >--- In bolger@egroups.com, kayaker37@h... wrote:
              > > I was searching for info on the Birdwatcher and I came across an
              > > index listing for the Feb 1 1997 issue of MAIB for
              > >
              > > Camper #640
              > > 18' x 5'3" x 6" gaff cat sharpie with
              > > Birdwatcher cabin
              > >
              > > Has anyone built this boat, or have a drawing of it? I love the
              > > Birdwatcher (actually I love about a half dozen of his designs) but
              > > wish it were somewhat shorter. I've seen Jim Michalak's IMB and
              > > Jewelbox but was hoping for something prettier along the lines of
              > > Birdwatcher.
              > >
              > > I have not seen any Messing About in Boats issues. Do you recommend
              > > that I subscribe?
              > >
              > > Thanks, Paul.

            • Chuck Leinweber
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 25, 2000
                > Does anyone know if these high sided boats, such as Birdwatcher, IMB,
                > etc. have any handling problems with such a large surface area
                > exposed above the waterline?
                > Paul

                Paul:

                I was fortunate enough to attend the maiden voyage of Jerry Scott's IMB last
                spring at Lake Conroe:

                http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/articles/conroe/index.htm

                Although he is not an experienced sailor, Jerry had what seemed to me more
                than the usual amount of trouble tacking and pointing. Later in the day,
                things seemed to work better.

                Any boat is a compromise, and sometimes sailing ability is diluted for other
                considerations. In a boat this size, accommodations almost always dilute
                sailing ability somewhat.

                For a very small cruising boat, Birdwatcher or IMB would be hard to beat.

                Chuck.
              • kayaker37@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 25, 2000
                  The links below didn't work for me either. Just go to the files
                  section and look under the Birdwatcher folder. The two files there
                  are Bolger #640_1.jpg and Bolger #640_2.jpg

                  This might work;
                  http://www.egroups.com/files/bolger/Birdwatcher/Bolger+%23640_1.jpg
                  http://www.egroups.com/files/bolger/Birdwatcher/Bolger+%23640_2.jpg

                  Paul