Double Bottom on Martha Jane.

  • col_mooney@globalfreeway.com.au
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
      Just a quick question that has been bugging me about double
      bottoms, on boats such as Micro, Long Micro, Martha Jane etc. In the
      earlier discussion about doubling the bottom ply someone asked "why
      not just one thicker sheet?" I may have missed the reply if there
      was one.
      I'd planned to double sheet my MJ, as I figured the generous
      offcuts would be useable elsewhere on the boat, which I figured was
      one of Phils reasons. Then I thought I'd be clever and save time,
      glue and maybe money by using one layer of inch thick. Should I or
      should I not use 1 inch sheets to make the bottom? The only possible
      drawbacks I can think of, which may or may not be valid, are:
      1. The 1" solid piece will not curve around to meet the sides,
      2. Traditional scarf joints are not suitable.(although on my
      16ft sailing dory with considerable rocker this method was used - 9ml
      bottom - seems fine)

      Are there any other drawbacks I may have missed? Any imput to help
      me solve my dilemma would be appreciated.

      Regards,
      Col
    • Peter Vanderwaart
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
        Most re: the earlier thread on vacuum bagging, I was in a bookstore
        over the weekend and noticed a WoodenBoat book "10 Wooden Boats You
        Can Build", which is a collection of 10 of the "who to build" series
        from the magazine. One is about a John Marples constant camber (tm)
        boat named "Gull" which is vacuum bagged. I didn't read the article,
        but it is a source if info. I don't know how applicable to a Micro
        the info would be.

        Another of the boats is the Bolger CarTopper, a very worth design
        that doesn't get much play here. I suppose it looks a little
        complicated.

        I had a little trouble getting www.woodenboat.com to tell me about
        the book until I put "10 wooden boats" in the search engine.

        Peter
      • Lincoln Ross
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
          Friend of mine has built 2 and likes them. I guess they sail well.
          That's about all I know.

          --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Peter Vanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:
          > snip
          >
          > Another of the boats is the Bolger CarTopper, a very worth design
          > that doesn't get much play here. I suppose it looks a little
          > complicated.
          > snip
          > Peter
        • David Jost
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
            I tried Chuck L.'s trick of drilling larger screw holes and then
            using
            smaller diameter screws to pull the second piece of wood into place
            when springing the keel batten into place on Micro. It worked like a
            charm. With the 150 (or so) screw holes I drilled and screwed today
            with the keel batten and the two skids, I did not notice any voids
            in
            the double bottom.

            For future Micro builders; working inside the boat, upside down for
            all of this is very tiring. Find a friend to help hold the pieces on
            center while you drill. My "friend" is 30 lbs of lead bars that
            interlock. Even with this it was very tedious.

            David Jost "just a few more good weeks of building left in the
            Northeast"

            > > Peter
          • Jim Chamberlin RCSIS
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2000
              Dear Group,

              The double bottom discussion was in high gear just as I was about to attempt
              to glue 2 1/4" ACX sheets together as the revised Pointy Skiff plans
              suggested as an alternative to a 5 ply 3/8" single sheet. After reading
              about a dozen comments from all of you I decided to go with the 5 ply 3/8".
              Around here the only 5 ply 3/8" is Doug fir marine at $47.00. No matter. It
              was butt strapped, cut and glued/screwed before I could say vacuum bag. I
              don't know if there is a similiar trade-off on thicker hulled boats, but the
              extra time and grief was not worth it to me. I had to buy two sheets, but
              now I have a start on the wood for the next Pointy Skiff bottoms.

              So much for my $.015 worth. Your collective opinions and experiences have
              been really valuable.

              Thanks and I Hope to see some of you in Port Townsend this coming week end.

              Jim