Re: [bolger] copper-epoxy for antifouling

  • Gordon Couger
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2000
      From: <botecote@...>
      > Gentlemen
      > I have been following your discussions about the possibilities of
      > incorporating copper into epoxy as an antifouling. Where have you
      > all been for the last ten years? We have manufactured exactly this
      > product in Australia since 1990. It works well as an antifouling
      > especially for trailerable boats, because it is quite stable, does
      > not leach away, is very tough to take physical abuse, and can go in
      > and out of water unlike conventional antifoulings. Have a look at
      > our web site www.boatcraft.com.au.
      > Best wishes

      Copper in epoxy at best works poorly. You have to have metallic copper
      bare to the sea to get the anti fowling properties. In anti fouling paint
      there is different paint for continuos immersion and trailing. If you
      trailer a full immersion paint you may have to scrub it before you put it
      back in the water.

      At best copper in epoxy will slow growth and for trailer boats it will
      probably be fine since the UV will chalk a little of the epoxy and bare
      some fresh copper. In the water all the time no way. It would work for a
      while but the copper would disappear from the surface and the barnacle
      hotel would began.

      Gordon
      Gordon Couger gcouger@...
      Stillwater, OK www.couger.com/gcouger
      405 624-2855 GMT -6:00
    • Chris Crandall
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2000
        On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Gordon Couger wrote:
        > At best copper in epoxy will slow growth and for trailer boats it will
        > probably be fine since the UV will chalk a little of the epoxy and
        > bare some fresh copper. In the water all the time no way. It would
        > work for a while but the copper would disappear from the surface and
        > the barnacle hotel would began.

        OK, I've been quiet on this for a long while. Here's the straight skinny.

        Copper mixed with epoxy is a bottom treatment that has been tried and test
        over the course of a couple of decades.

        Although System 3 was the first to come out with a product, the idea can
        be traced back (and, according to the lawyers, has been traced back) to
        the creative drawing board of Chuck Merrell, of Seattle, Washington. You
        can check out his website, http://www.boatdesign.com He built an early
        Micro, the first Tennessee (I think), and the Jessie Cooper that appears
        in one of the Bolger books.

        System 3 marketed the idea, but found that copper wasn't doing the trick.
        However, it turns out that copper oxide (I think) works OK, and they
        turned over the technology to another company, whose name I forget, to
        market the product. It's still available.

        Yes, the copper is exposed, and it works. It's not a magic bullet, and it
        takes some maintenance, however, it works well enough to last about 10
        years. This is on boats that are continuously in the water, not trailer
        sailors.

        So, theory aside, the stuff seems to work OK.