Re: Big (but not HUGE) Sharpie - ANTISPRAY 48

  • John R. McDaniel
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2000
      Mark,

      Once again....interesting comments.

      When we began the design process with Phil & Susanne, we gave them
      multiple typewritten pages detailing our wish list with each item
      prioritized. Item/priority #1 was "Shallow Draft".

      Unless you happen to be a 'vertically challenged' person, it's
      difficult to have your feet just inches below DWL without your head
      sticking up a bit. We feel that "wading" draft is worth much more
      than casting a small shadow.

      Our experience sez that the mizzen essentially makes any increased
      windage invisible when anchored. Most telling, perhaps, is to
      compare actual profile square footage with boats of similar VOLUME
      and more traditional design.

      Incidentally, just aft the mainmast is a complete workshop with
      workbench plus area for lathe/mill and lots of tool storage.

      Progress has been hampered this past nine months by the unfortunate
      need to earn a living (donations may be mailed to.....). Progress to
      date includes building a 40'x70' boatshed, constructing three one-
      ton, 17'H x 15"W, steel-handling gantries, pouring 5000 lbs of lead
      ballast/counterweights, sewing the full set of tanbark sales, and
      stockpiling all necessary steel and aluminum (spars). Engine,
      transmission, marine gear, bulkhead plywood, Lexan for glazing, and a
      jillion other pieces are here. We hope to start actual hull
      construction this fall.

      Regards,

      John

    • freedem@excite.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2000
        --- In bolger@egroups.com, "John R. McDaniel" <jmcdan@h...> wrote:

        Mr McDaniel
        Oh the Nerveves you"ve twanged in your letter esp that such a lot
        of work has been done, and that soon you hope to start on the hull.
        To repete a sorta apt saying The mountians are easy after one gets
        over the mohills.
        Good wished and envy to you, may the hull come easy
        Jeff By
      • Chuck Leinweber
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2000
          > Oh, wow, we can hardly find time to work on the boat, let alone find
          > time to learn how to setup/update a website. On second thought, at
          > our current pace, updating such a site wouldn't take much....there
          > would be little to report!
          >
          > I suppose having a website might be one way to keep pressure on us to
          > make progress.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > John & Susan

          Or in lieu of spending all that boat building time learning to make a web
          page, there are at least a couple of sites ( Square Boats, and Duckworks
          Magazine ) that would be happy to take your snap shots and reports and turn
          them into web pages for you. The list seems to be quite interested in
          Antispray.

          Chuck